Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of a s&w 5946

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aces100 View Post
    Hey Archibald,

In terms of reliability we both know that the 5946 is quite reliable, even if it ever fails me, I'm sure I could use it to brake a skull in a fight just with the weight of it. The force wont change it at least for the next 15 years or so, not for the price itself of the gun (im sure they get'em real cheap in mass production from s&w) but for the money and time they'd have to invest to train every member across the country. No argue that the trigger pull just sucks, it doesnt matter how many years you've been doing it, I actually think my index gets weaker every time I requal.
    More than anything, I want to get it just to make some modifications and adjustments to it, we'll see if I can find one.
    Thx bud.
    They have served well as an impact weapon over the years. That is undeniable!

i would suggest you look at the various US sites and talk to Irunguns. if you find one, they would be able to purchase it for you from a US dealer if nothing available here in EE or Canada and then transfer the process to your gunsmith. Other suggestion, hook yourself up to the Smith and Wesson forum, stateside. More than likely, if you put some "feelers" out, you will be able to strike a deal and use irunguns.....As I am in the same boat....but broke...

Cheers

GunNutz
    Nice gun, not particularly fun to shoot.

Go buy a used S&W 586 and an M&P 9mm for the same price.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer copeland's Avatar
    Skip it. 12 lb trigger is garbage.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama, 2001.

“Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.” -Mahatma Gandhi

I kinda like mine. They are different than the M&P or others (Glock, Sig, Springfield, etc), but I enjoy shooting it.

i sold one of the few restricted 5906's back a few years ago. It was pretty to look at, but honestly horrible accuracy, and the double action is just ridiculous. Go m&p and move on.

CGN Regular
    They are great guns but I would stay away from the Double Action Only models. I have had a re barreled 5906, 4006. I had a Virginia state police issue 1076, 2 645 models, 2 4506 models. Currently I am down to a 4506-1 and 1006. Both of those models have the adjustable sights and are CRAZY Accurate and reliable. These full size models are cheaper than the short barrels ex prohib ones. I like these guns and was willing to pay over $1000 for the 5906,4006 and 1076. I do recommend these guns but would not recommend one that has been re-barreled. Get a full size one. Another option would be to get a non restricted 4.25 inch barreled 4566, 1066, 1076 if you want a compact one or a 4506, 1006 if you want a full size one. you can buy from gun broker and get prophet river or IRG import them in for you. I got both my 1076 and 4506-1 from gun broker and had them imported.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Harry Callahan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keitha View Post
    They are great guns but I would stay away from the Double Action Only models. I have had a re barreled 5906, 4006. I had a Virginia state police issue 1076, 2 645 models, 2 4506 models. Currently I am down to a 4506-1 and 1006. Both of those models have the adjustable sights and are CRAZY Accurate and reliable. These full size models are cheaper than the short barrels ex prohib ones. I like these guns and was willing to pay over $1000 for the 5906,4006 and 1076. I do recommend these guns but would not recommend one that has been re-barreled. Get a full size one. Another option would be to get a non restricted 4.25 inch barreled 4566, 1066, 1076 if you want a compact one or a 4506, 1006 if you want a full size one. you can buy from gun broker and get prophet river or IRG import them in for you. I got both my 1076 and 4506-1 from gun broker and had them imported.
    My 1086 is an awesome shooter, got it brand new and shot 2 mags (18 rounds) out of it with suprising results, really is an accurate pistol. The trigger is way better than any 5946 I've shot, there's no comparison.

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein, Observer, Jan. 15, 1950

BANNED
    what does a sw 645 stainless go for these days? same family? gen 2 smith?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Harry Callahan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icelink View Post
    what does a sw 645 stainless go for these days? same family? gen 2 smith?
    Yup, the 645 is a Gen 2. Guess around $600-$650 in good-VG used condition with 2 mags. $50 more for the adjustable rear sight.

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein, Observer, Jan. 15, 1950

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast