Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of a s&w 5946

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hatman1793 View Post
    The vastly better M&P series that replaced the 5900 series has a better accuracy reputation.
    While the M&P is in most respects a better pistol than the S&W Third Generation pistols, I would say that the reputation for accuracy is the other way around, at least when it comes to the 9mm versions.

That being said, if you want to pick up one of the older S&W autos, I would have two recommendations:

1. Keep in mind that spare parts may be difficult to source, as they have been out of production for many years.
    2. I would choose a DA/SA version over DAO. You will still have ample opportunity to master the double action trigger, but I think you will find that follow-up shots at speed are much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by icelink View Post
    what does a sw 645 stainless go for these days? same family? gen 2 smith?
    Mine has 3 mags and the adjustable rear, I think I got it for $700+shipping. It's a neat gun and I wouldn't mind adding a 4506 or 4566 to the collection in the future. The triggers on the smaller 59 series are just ok by the way, personally wouldn't pony up the cash to convert one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A S&W 5946 is on my bucket list of guns to shoot in my life
    If only war was waged with hockey sticks and pucks, I would be whirlwind of destruction

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Master-G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbshark View Post
    i would suggest you look at the various US sites and talk to Irunguns. if you find one, they would be able to purchase it for you from a US dealer if nothing available here in EE or Canada and then transfer the process to your gunsmith.
    Unless it's LE or Military I don't think any prohib-class handguns can be imported in, even for licensed owners. I don't know if this applies to dealers, though I think it does.

And count me as one that owned a similar one (5906) when they first came out and didn't care for how it shot.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-G View Post
    Unless it's LE or Military I don't think any prohib-class handguns can be imported in, even for licensed owners. I don't know if this applies to dealers, though I think it does.

And count me as one that owned a similar one (5906) when they first came out and didn't care for how it shot.
    They bring in Glock 19s and others with legal length barrels, so I don't think it's a problem if it comes into Canada with a 4.2 inch barrel. Prohibited due to calibre is a no go (.32 or .25).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Master-G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post
    They bring in Glock 19s and others with legal length barrels, so I don't think it's a problem if it comes into Canada with a 4.2 inch barrel.
    Yes, that'd work, if restricted length barrels could be installed pre-import.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Still, you're going to be buying it down there IN BRUTAL US$, paying a gunsmith to re barrel, then paying a $200 import fee to Prophet River or IRG... You'd have to REALLY want it!

I would say it is fairly accurate. This is from the fall of 2014 and aprox 10m or 32 ft away.

CGN Regular
    If you want a 3rd gen Smith (I love them) pick one up in the US and get it imported, you can get mags from gunparts corp and springs from wolf. They are bullet proof and will never break. I got spare parts from gunparts corp. I doubt I will ever need them. Here are a couple

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=4506

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=4566

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=1076

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473291657

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Callahan View Post
    Yup, the 645 is a Gen 2. Guess around $600-$650 in good-VG used condition with 2 mags. $50 more for the adjustable rear sight.
    thanks for the info.....i thought they would be worth a little more than that...as you dont see them for sale on here that often if not never...maybe im wrong....thanks again!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast