Thread: SAM Military 1911 Enhanced fit and finish

SAM Military 1911 Enhanced fit and finish

Really considering a SAM 1911 for my first 45 and wanted to clear up a couple concerns.

The finish of this pistol in the product photo appears to worse than all of the other SAM 1911's and the grips look more like plastic than wood as it indicates in its specifications. Is the product photo on the website just a bad photo? I'm assuming it should be similar fit and finish to the other SAM 1911s I've read such good things about.

Not being well versed in the world of 1911s can you tell me what I'm missing as I don't understand the pricing difference between the military enhanced and regular military models. Is the regular military model more because it's a more authentic configuration??

Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Most likely the price difference reflects new stock and our lousy dollar, as the enhanced was always a few bucks more. Makes it a great deal now! I've had a couple SAMs through my hands and the finish was the same - a flat blue-black.

The grips on both were wood, but they are more functional than pretty

The fit and finish on all the SAM handguns is basically the same, the web page photos are just representative examples.

The basic .45 (Military) should be the cheapest, we pay a premium for 9mm, stainless and the enhanced models have extra features that increase the price further. The prices are now all "out to lunch" due to the change in our exchange rate. Some basic models will now cost us more that what we were previously selling them for. All the "old" stock, 2014, are at the old prices that makes them excellent value for money.

That all makes sense, thanks. I think my decision just became a little easier....

BANNED
    They are very nice guns for the money (2014) I'd buy one in a minute if I did not already have a 45..congrats on your purchase

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I recently purchased a Military Enhanced from Wolverine and so far I am very impressed with it, and at the price they are selling for its a real bargain.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The grips are wood which is painted or stained black. They're a little cheesy but functional and certainly better than the Norinco plastic grips. If you stripped the old finish, stained them walnut or maple and oiled or Varathaned them they wouldn't be to bad.

I own two SAMs (45 & 9mm) and my friend's have a couple also and they are great shooters. Fit is as good or better than any 1911 I've owned & that includes some Kimbers, Colts, Springfield Armorys and Rugers. My buddy just bought a SAM stainless Commander Enhanced 45 and the thing is literally a 1" gun at 50 feet with a stock trigger. For 1911s they're the best combo of quality and price going.
    Last edited by ted_dent; 03-17-2015 at 12:03 PM.

I have a SAM 1911 military enhanced in .45. The grips are the only thing I didn't like. They are wood but feel like plastic. I swapped them out for some Houge rubber grips. Fit and finish is great especially for the price. Most importantly it shoots great.
    Supporter of the Henderson legal fund