Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide between rifle + handgun or rifle + shotgun for first purchase

Can't decide between rifle + handgun or rifle + shotgun for first purchase

In the end budget considerations have limited my choices to two high quality firearms. Eventually I'll have a few, but a man ought to start somewhere.

The rifle part of the equation is settled. I'll get a CZ 422/455. However I'm having a hard time deciding between buying a handgun first or a shotgun first.

If I were to pick a shotgun, I'll probably go with the better ones in the $500-600 range (think Mossberg 590). If I were to pick a handgun I'll go with a really good .22lr (say Browning Buck Mark UDX) or possibly a good 9mm (like CZ 75, but the 9mm option definitely stretches the budget).

What would you recommend? The answer to "It depends on what you want to shoot." is that I want to shoot all sorts of things at the range (and eventually get into hunting). It's only a matter of picking something first.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." -- Townsend Whelen

Shotgun = Clay games and hunting.
    Handgun = Gun games (9mm, skip the .22).

The shotgun is more versatile and requires less investment as gun games can get quiet expensive (mags, holster, mag pouch, belt etc.).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I would go with shotgun. Simply because it is much more versatile. I am not a big fan of them but I can't argue the benefits. With a rifled barrel on one (or having the rifled slugs) you can hunt anything on this continent at shorter ranges. With the smooth bore barrel you can hunt birds etc. It is also great for putting lead downrange when required as if you have 00 buck shot in there you are shooting roughly 8 .30 caliber balls with each pull of the trigger.

Basically a modern shotgun can be made to do virtually anything you might need it for, provided you have the right piece of kit (rifled barrels, different types of ammo etc.).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Zedbra's Avatar
    Get a rifle and a shotgun first. If you plan on hunting then get some time behind both of those. Shotguns are fun and there are many kinds available but choose one that you like because you really don't need to replace it unless you need (or want) something specialized down the road. My old Ithaca 20 gauge 900 is one of my favourite guns to shoot (and my wife's, too). I almost traded it and when my wife found out, she put a stop to that - and it is the ONLY time she has ever said something about my gun spending/swapping.

I don't know if I would skip the .22 if you do go handgun. Unless you want to compete, 9mm and other centerfire rounds can really add up whereas a .22 allows you to have fun for hours without breaking the bank. When I take my hand guns to the range, my .357 might get 100 rounds down it, usually 50 and my .22 pistol will see hundreds. I just bought reloading gear for the .357 - otherwise it is expensive.

Rifle and shotgun is a good first combo...everybody should have a shotgun IMO. As stated above, arguably the most versatile shooting platform in terms of application / types of shooting.

If you are like me though, once you get your first handgun and AR, it's a whole new ball game. The addiction goes full bore and shooting is never the same. When you do get a handgun (and an AR for that matter) get a centre fire caliber with a .22 conversion kit. A little more upfront but you will save a ton in ammo costs. Like Zedbra, I will put 100-150 rounds of 9mm per trip but can switch out barrels and then run another 300-400 rounds of .22...and cost wise, the 300 rounds of .22 costs less than the 100 rounds of 9mm.

Enjoy...whatever you end up with, I have no doubt it won't be long before you are adding to the collection.

shotgun

12g shotgun

My first gun in 1966 was an 870 Wingmaster 12ga because my family hunted ducks and upland game birds. My next choice was a 22 a year later as I had a part time job and a little cash and the area around Ottawa was littered with groundhogs. Bought a Cooey 64 that a guy had jammed with dirt for $30. Then my dad decided we would hunt deer. Thats when the first 30cal came along. I now have 2 safes full of guns but suggest you scan the EE and pick up deals. There is always someone dumping a gun to get something else. You mention " high end" but thats not necessary. Lots of good middle of the road stuff like Mossberg, Remington, and a Browning. High end can cost thousands whereas decent used middle of the road usually sells in the hundreds. A decent used 12ga pump can be had for about $400 any day. Decent 30cals from about $400 up and 22s start at a hun usually. I have a 22 that is 75yrs old that shoots like crazy. Also have a CZ452, couple of leverguns and a nice pump for fun. My pistols are CZ85 only because I am left handed and they have controls on both sides so I dont have to change them over for my wife or friends to shoot and it has an available conversion kit for 22 as well. Currently I hunt with a Browning Xbolt 308 and 30-06 and a bolt 223. Bolt actions are usually cheaper and much more reliable. See the Milsurp section. Some of the bolt actions in there are nearly a hundred years old and still shoot like a hot damn. The thing is to get started. Buy something that makes the most sense right now. You can always sell it on the EE if you want something different. Pump shotguns are a big fave and the Wingmasters, Mossbergs, and Brownings all let you swap barrels so you can go from tactical to trap in a minute. Shoot some trap and get used to it. Enjoy. Its not a hobby, its an addiction.. Just remember that. All that said as a new shooter you are not likely to find any difference in most of these brands. What pleases your eye and fits your body is the important thing mostly. I dont have any of the first guns I bought. Its all better now. You have to start somewhere. This is a good place to ask questions though. Everybody may have a different opinion but they may all be as valid. Depends on your personal experience.
    The older I get the more I find that common sense is not so common after all. (Mark Twain)
    Member Mission Rod and Gun

+1 for shotgun. Shoot in woods + clays + non-restricted. Need I say more?

I also find shotgun ammo lasts a lot longer than 9mm for similar price/shot...

Rifle and shotgun... They are the basis and it's nice to have a pair of non restricted.
    You may want to consider a mossberg 500 as they are less expensive. The 590 is much heavier and has an unforgiving parkerized finish. Where as a 500 has a regular weight barrel and black/blues Finnish with a plastic trigger guard and tang safety.
    I personally opted for the 500 and its been awesome.
    That would free up some cash to throw in the ring for a handgun. I'd suggest a m&p9 and you could get a deal on one in the EE. I also like the sr9..... The CZ will definitely stretch the budget, the shadow etc are all amazing and accurate guns but there is a lot of options out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast