Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those famous 10$ knives

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar

CGN frequent flyer Big_red_truck's Avatar
    I see they have the Bowie ones , can't find the bolo ones.
    I'm canadian eh , there's no doot aboot

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    I'm glad I have my tinfoil hat on the morning while operating the microwave oven.
    Rob

Handles on both of mine broke within a few uses. 10$ quality.

BANNED
    Those Rambo knife copies are decent for the price as well.

It's just my two cents, but an opinel or Mora are way better value. And not made in a Chinese sweatshop .

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    It's just my two cents, but an opinel or Mora are way better value. And not made in a Chinese sweatshop .
    Both are very good deals... And I like those little victorinox. The ones that look like a paring knife.

CGN frequent flyer Big_red_truck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    Oh I have some , I'm just looking for another few of those rough use knives to throw in the truck or whatever. Like I said , they're ok to bring along on small day trips instead of an axe to split wood. One of the other ones I have has lasted 2 years of solid abuse. Bent and chipped blade but still works ok. Put the grinder to her and voila. Don't have to worry about it. I definetly got more then 10$ worth out of it in the past 2 years. It's the bolo style one.
    I'm canadian eh , there's no doot aboot

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    I'm glad I have my tinfoil hat on the morning while operating the microwave oven.
    Rob

If you get a quality 1/4" thick 1095 carbon steel knife (like a Tops or Ontario), you can baton wood with it 24/7 for 10 years and not have to worry about nothing. I'd much rather have one of those knives for $150 than 15 of the $10 "Rough Use" (lol) knives lying around in my truck, in my boat or being pinned to my belt. Besides, this is the most common trap a lot of people fall into in a survival situation: they get cheap junk for everyday carry to "preserve" their expensive kit and when they finally get into a survival situation, all they have at their disposal is that cheap POS "replacement", while the good stuff is tucked away somewhere "safe" and far away - usually in their camper, truck or at home. If it ain't on you at all times, it does you absolutely no good.

Buy quality, carry quality, use quality every day... that's the only way you'll have tried & tested quality tools at your disposal for when it matters the most! There are some things in life you can't afford to cheap out on... and survival knives/kits are definitely at the very top of that list!

P.S. I own one of those "Rough Use" knives myself. I bought it as a novelty item to see what all the talk was about. The blade feels like the generic & cheap 440A steel (which it is), the handle feels loose and the sheath is total garbage that wants to fall apart as soon as it comes out of the packaging. I've got no idea where this knife ended up, but it sure as hell ain't tagging along on any hiking or hunting trip with me (extra weight with dubious reliability). Some things are better off lost, lol!
    Last edited by 762mm; 03-23-2015 at 06:08 AM.
    Lesson from elections 2021 : The PPC's only REAL purpose is to split that razor-thin Conservative vote and re-elect Liberals!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 762mm View Post
    If you get a quality 1/4" thick 1095 carbon steel knife (like a Tops or Ontario), you can baton wood with it 24/7 for 10 years and not have to worry about nothing. I'd much rather have one of those knives for $150 than 15 of the $10 "Rough Use" (lol) knives lying around in my truck, in my boat or being pinned to my belt. Besides, this is the most common trap a lot of people fall into in a survival situation: they get cheap junk for everyday carry to "preserve" their expensive kit and when they finally get into a survival situation, all they have at their disposal is that cheap POS "replacement", while the good stuff is tucked away somewhere "safe" and far away - usually in their camper, truck or at home. If it ain't on you at all times, it does you absolutely no good.

Buy quality, carry quality, use quality every day... that's the only way you'll have tried & tested quality tools at your disposal for when it matters the most! There are some things in life you can't afford to cheap out on... and survival knives/kits are definitely at the very top of that list!

P.S. I own one of those "Rough Use" knives myself. I bought it as a novelty item to see what all the talk was about. The blade feels like the generic & cheap 440A steel (which it is), the handle feels loose and the sheath is total garbage that wants to fall apart as soon as it comes out of the packaging. I've got no idea where this knife ended up, but it sure as hell ain't tagging along on any hiking or hunting trip with me (extra weight with dubious reliability). Some things are better off lost, lol!
    Well I will let you know in 8 more years if mine lasts that long, so far so good, and an expensive great quality knife is great, if it is indeed great quality and can do all the above, and the cheap one are also great if they can do the same, you bought one but did you carry it or use it? They are loose and the steel isn't pedigree but I take them as I find them, same as all my tool some cheap stuff is just that and some will do the intended job! Most of our ancestors built this country and survived on the very cheapest knives and especially axes around , because that was all there was! My grandfather was one of them and as long as you know the limitations of your tools, you should be good to go! I would prefer a nice $300 knife for everyone but cannot afford it, so far these knife fit what I need as do my axes etc! Now I have tried some different Machetes and they vary greatly in quality, Ferber has a nice handle but the steel edge bends too easily, as does the sog,, the cold steel so far is my favorite! Again I guess the intended use will dictate what oworks for the individual!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by Big_red_truck View Post
    I see they have the Bowie ones , can't find the bolo ones.
    https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/famous-rough-use-knife-13-5-bolo/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast