Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking a good cleaning kit for a rifle

Picking a good cleaning kit for a rifle

So today I bought my first rifle. I'm now shopping for all the small items you need and that add up, oh so quickly.

As far as cleaning the firearm, I was thinking of buying these:

1. Otis Technology Tactical Cleaning System with 6 Brushes
    2. Otis Technology M-16/Small Caliber Patches (100)
    3. Froglube

Do I need anything else, like a Hopps snake? Or would the kit above alone cover my .22lr rifle bases?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." -- Townsend Whelen

To each their own but my "kit" consists of a boresnake, CLP, and household items (q-tips, rags, latex gloves etc.).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Some kits come with more stuff than you'll ever end up using. All that's needed is a good cleaning rod, patch holder, wire brush a jag and CLP. Heck, after I started using Wipeout, I haven't used a wire brush since.
    CSSA Member

Have you verified that the otis tactical kit comes with the small bore pieces? .22 and .17 uses a different head piece.

I have the otis elite kit. I bought it for $100usd at cabelas a few weekends ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzilla View Post
    Have you verified that the otis tactical kit comes with the small bore pieces? .22 and .17 uses a different head piece.

I have the otis elite kit. I bought it for $100usd at cabelas a few weekends ago.
    It does as well. For now, I have decided to use the otis kit / otis clp solvent for the bore, and g96 silicon wipes for the barrel, receiver, etc.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." -- Townsend Whelen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I use a lot of cleaners that I happen to have in the garage, such as varsol, carb or brake cleaner, acetone, as well as citrus cleaner, Spray Nine, and Simple Green. They all serve a purpose under the right circumstances, just be careful on some plastic and synthetic parts with certain chemicals.

Get a SMALL tooth brush. Like the child size one or ones the vet carries. Very handy for tight spaces. Bulk pack of "cut your own" cleaning patches or similar cotton material. Depending on the type of firearms you want to have, pipe cleaners or assortment of tubing brushes come in handy for cleaning gas systems and gas ports.

BANNED
    I find dental pics that you can get at Princess Auto cheaply are great for getting crud out of tight spaces and small wooden sticks something like fondue ones tapered on the end is good as well also available at the dollar store.

I personally like the Browning universal cleaning kit

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Yes that would do. You don't need to overclean. Do use household items if needs be.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast