Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guelph Rod and Gun club

Guelph Rod and Gun club

Hi all.

Any opinions on this club?

I'm down to do their safety course shortly.

The first year's a little tough but once you become an RSO the club really shines. They have something for everyone with several ranges and a new 50 yard indoor range to be built soon. Here's a breakdown:

GRGC Ranges

Range 1 - PPC
    Range 2 - Main IPSC Range
    Range 3 - IPSC Alley
    Range 4 - Rifle Range (25/50/100 yards)
    Range 5 - Swamp Range (Cowboy, shotgun patterning)
    Range 6 - Indoor Range (5 yard increments up to 25 yards)
    Range 7 - Trap Range
    Range 8 - Steel Plate Range
    Range 9 - New 50 yard indoor range.

Hours of Operation

Indoor Range Open: 365 days/yr, 9am to 10pm.

Outdoor Ranges Open: Monday-Thursday and Saturday: 9am to 9pm or dusk, whichever comes first, and Friday: 9am to 6pm.

Outdoor Ranges Closed: All Sundays, Christmas Day, Good Friday, and Saturday of the Writer’s Festival.
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 03-22-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Too bad they are no longer taking new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Fobwall View Post
    I have my safety orientation in April

Quote Originally Posted by Fobwall View Post
    ???

http://grgc.ca/?page_id=18

Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Oh I guess I totally missed the top part.

I just read the bottom:
    "The membership at GRGC will be capped at 800 members. As of 23 April 2014 GRGC is not taking any new applications for membership. Once we have inducted the current backlog of new members we will open registration again."

And I also figured that there was probably a waiting list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hi all.

Any opinions on this club?

I'm down to do their safety course shortly.
    Have you joined? What is your opinion?

I don't know how the two person shooting club rule really works, does one of them have to be a RSO?

Would really suck to drive all that way to find nobody there, wasted trip.
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

Quote Originally Posted by 15567 View Post
    Have you joined? What is your opinion?

I don't know how the two person shooting club rule really works, does one of them have to be a RSO?

Would really suck to drive all that way to find nobody there, wasted trip.

-To shoot, one person on the range must be an RSO.

-RSOs can also shoot alone. Two person rule no longer applies as I believe every range has a camera now. If no camera then no one shoots alone.

-You are 99% guaranteed every Saturday RSOs are available. I have never not been able to shoot on a Saturday. 100% guarantee trap range is open Saturdays (and Wednesday nights during Summer months).

-There are weekly forum threads o the club's online forum where shooters and RSOs can work out times to meetup.

Probationary members cannot bring shooting guests. Once off probation you take the club's RSO theory and do 2x30 minute supervised RSO shifts and you become RSO and can shoot whenever/wherever you like. If you are free to shoot on Saturdays then shooting before you can RSO isn't a problem. If you work weekends and/or shiftwork then I could see it being an issue. Great club and facility. No self-imposed magazine limits (whatever's legal) or rapid fire rules etc. Action shooting events and occasional friendly competitive shoots.

I am a member of another range that I can shoot alone at but rarely shoot anywhere but Guelph.(have not completed RSO practical yet)
    Last edited by cdnmr; 08-16-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: omissions
    CSSA

Cdnmr, thanks very much for your great explanation! Being able to hook up with an RSO during the weekday would be great but might prove challenging to arrange.

Is it difficult or are there any restrictions on becoming and RSO after probationary period? I heard it can take years but have no idea how true this is.

Seems that the one year probationary period until you become an RSO is very limiting to those who would like to shoot weekdays or as their time permits. Too bad GRGC has this very onerous and seemingly self-imposed restriction that limits member range use and really don't know at the moment if the club is worth joining on account of this?
    "What we got here is a failure to communicate"

Quote Originally Posted by 15567 View Post
    Cdnmr, thanks very much for your great explanation! Being able to hook up with an RSO during the weekday would be great but might prove challenging to arrange.

Is it difficult or are there any restrictions on becoming and RSO after probationary period? I heard it can take years but have no idea how true this is.

Seems that the one year probationary period until you become an RSO is very limiting to those who would like to shoot weekdays or as their time permits. Too bad GRGC has this very onerous and seemingly self-imposed restriction that limits member range use and really don't know at the moment if the club is worth joining on account of this?
    Only limitation on becoming RSO is completing probation. Probation is 12 safe shoots in the year (RSOs sign off that you were safe).

I got on the membership waiting list in Jan or Feb 2014, joined in April of 2014 and took my RSO theory July 2015. I am waiting to do practical right now. Should be an RSO within my first 18 months.

Weekday/night shooting could be an issue unfortunately. People post in that week's RSO thread or watch it for RSOs who post when they will be at the range. I typically only shoot Saturdays but have no kids and the Wife and I have unwritten agreement that Saturdays I head to the range so worked fine for me.

I have heard guys complain about how long they waited to join etc but has been my experience that if you check your email every day and proactively add your name to training lists or seek out RSOs etc you get results. When they go through a waiting list they will email the first 25 (as an example) and ask for a reply within 72 hours. If only 10 reply within the 72 hours they don't piss around, they email the next 15.

Bridgeport is approx 20 mins North-West and don't have the same RSO rules but have recently imposed a few probationary rules. Facility is not nearly as good but more opportunity to shoot any day. They also have a 5 round limit in ANY gun, charge you $10 for every guest, no "rapid firing" and rimfire only on Sundays. I am member at both (for now), if an extra couple hundred for the year doesn't bother you might be an option as well.

If you can deal with the initial limitations I highly recommend GRGC.

Hope you find a club to suit your needs. If you are even thinking about GRGC I'd get on the waiting list....when spots opens up you can decide then.
    CSSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast