Thread: SAM 1911 Thunderbolt - Barrel Bushing Removal...

SAM 1911 Thunderbolt - Barrel Bushing Removal...

Just received my SAM 1911 Thunderbolt .45ACP and the fit and finish are really nice. No play or movement anywhere on the pistol. Compared it to my friend's STI Trojan which is more than twice the price and the fit and finish are practically the same.

I wanted to disassemble it to clean it up and remove all the brown oil/gunk, but I'm unable to remove the barrel bushing. No matter how hard I try I can't depress the spring guide down enough to rotate the barrel bushing. The SAM Thunderbolt also didn't come with barrel bushing wrench and I've tried searching your site for one but nothing was found.

Any tips? Or suggestions on where to pick one up?

I'm in Calgary - so avoiding shipping would be ideal. Not sure if TSE or CSC have these tools in stock.

Thanks!

CGN Regular
    Near Barrie, ON and close to Wasaga Beach/Midland
    I havent used a bushing wrench in ages. If I'm having a hard time I just use whatever flat hard plastic item is around.
    other then that you can remove the slide first and go frome there

Best of luck

Proline Shooters in Inglewood has bushing wrenches. I'm sure others do as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Amazon.ca sells a Wilson combat plastic wrench for a price that suggests it is gold plated lol

Put up a wtb on the EE?

Many guns come with wrenches. Someone must have a spare.

i use the butt of a lighter. works great :D

BANNED
    Check Youtube for cleaning a 1911 especially ones by Hickok45 he has a simple method to disassemble and reassemble.. after a few attempts it's relatively easy

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips!

AB2506 - I'll drop by Proline at lunch, I work just a couple blocks away from them, whoo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by lagerstatten View Post
    Just received my SAM 1911 Thunderbolt .45ACP and the fit and finish are really nice. No play or movement anywhere on the pistol. Compared it to my friend's STI Trojan which is more than twice the price and the fit and finish are practically the same.

I wanted to disassemble it to clean it up and remove all the brown oil/gunk, but I'm unable to remove the barrel bushing. No matter how hard I try I can't depress the spring guide down enough to rotate the barrel bushing. The SAM Thunderbolt also didn't come with barrel bushing wrench and I've tried searching your site for one but nothing was found.

Any tips? Or suggestions on where to pick one up?

I'm in Calgary - so avoiding shipping would be ideal. Not sure if TSE or CSC have these tools in stock.

Thanks!

The SAM Thunderbolt has a full length guide rod, do not try and depress the guide rod. Push down the hollow bushing and rotate with your fingers, no tool required. If you do purchase a wrench I would advise using a nylon one.

That's why I like the two piece guide rods...