Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ar500 vs Mild steel comparison! Must see! Video up!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Just don't bother hitting it with .338lm AP or .50 API....

I have found the penetration limits of the steel lol.

At 300 meters, tungsten carbide .338 penetrators will cut a hole through 1/2" AR plate like a hot knife through butter. .50 needs to be API, watched some military testing firsthand, and standard AP doesnt fully penetrate past about 150 meters, needs to be API or Raufoss, which work well to at least 900 meters with good effect.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Business Member FraserValleyTargets's Avatar
    We hit our 1/2" plate with two unmarked api from a 50 bmg at 150 meters and it stopped othe first one.
    Last edited by FraserValleyTargets; 03-29-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hartman View Post
    yes, factory loads are only a little bit stiffer than some higher pressure .308, however they are slightly steel jacketed. Not thick steel, but some steel, with nickel plating.
    We are still going to have to try your rounds but this is a pretty decent testimony to the steel.
    Just wanted to show the results from our .50 bmg test from last year. As the pictures show the steel cores from the .50 bmg get smashed flat on the ar500 and barely even leaves a mark on the steel. I'm not 100% sure about the steel jacketed surplus you speak of but if it does more then a .50 bmg I will eat my hat. We were shooting the plate from 150 meters with 700 grain bullets and this is the result.

17 hits of .50 bmg and it's still a perfect target.

The small one is a steel core from 7.62x39 its smashed flat in almost an identical way as the steel core from the much larger .50 bmg. These pieces are solid steel smashed flat on the ar500. Just goes to show the difference in steel composition and the mechanisms involved. You wouldn't want one of these nasty buggers coming back at you. Good thing a solid strike on the plate face will deposit them into the ground below the target. Exactly where these guys where found after each shot.
    Last edited by FraserValleyTargets; 03-30-2015 at 08:09 PM.

New video up! Must see!

If you guys have any ideas for steel testing or anything else, so long as it's safe, legal and or otherwise a good idea, let us know and we will see about making a range day out for specific ideas. I have an old Kevlar helmet I was thinking of shooting with a watermelon inside it. Different distances and calibers, that sort of thing. Not because it's related to ar500 but because it's just good television. Maybe tannerite or something cool. Let me know what you guys want to see.

Wow thank you for the video update. Excellent work!

Izzit

Quote Originally Posted by Izzit View Post
    Wow thank you for the video update. Excellent work!

Izzit
    Thanks! Keep tuned we should have more tests posted soon.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    LOL, yea the steel penetrator on the BMG round is pretty self explanatory no where near that energy. that round is both faster and heavier, plus the penetrator.
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

We had to nail the stand system to the ground and the first hit from the .50 spun the 21lbs plate around the crossbar 3 times until it ran out of chain... Thats why in the picture second from the bottom you see a mangled up pallet we rested on the stand system to keep the plate from getting wrapped around the crossbar after each hit.

Also I mention the first hit on the plate specifically because the first shot hit the chain and severed it which is why one link of the chain was replaced by steel wire as seen in the same photo. It worked perfectly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123