Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try the SKS mounts?

Anyone try the SKS mounts?

I have a SKS but just use the open sights. I saw on Marstar's website that they have this:

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=80441

or just the mount.

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75825

Has anyone tried either of those and has it worked out? Thanks for any help.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    From reading a bajillion reviews I can confidentially say, No...

Depends what you want. If you do not mind an approximate scope mount that wobbles and does keep 0, go right ahead.
    The only "real" solutions for scope mounts on an SKS are those who require you to drill and tap the receiver. Anything mounted on the cover is not stable.

Than again I am used to real scoped rifles, for fun plinking and medium to low expectations of accuracy, these could be fun. just don't expect to much.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    I didn't have these exact ones but another "dust cover" type mount. was terrible for keeping zero.

I recommend a wartak rail.

I have a mag wedge rail and I enjoy it
    Retreat, hell we just got here

go to red rifles forum...
    i've done the ejection port mod (make it 90 degrees and shells eject to the right)
    i've tapped where receiver pin goes through receiver (i forget the exact size of bolt which works)
    then tap the scope mount (while in place)
    have done this TWICE, and it holds zero - works like a charm
    (take it slow...)
    without doing this it's just an o.k. mount at best...cheap and easy
    find the correct size bolt (can. tire)... tap, and you'll be good to go
    (i also made sure to file front taps on mount as little as required to fit onto receiver)

CGN Regular
    Not exactly what you're afterbut the Scoutmounts.com style is a good one. Quality piece and holds zero.

The trouble with those receiver cover mounted rails is that it is an approximate fit so you may have to file the 'feet' to get it to slide into place. If you take too much it will not be a solid platform. The screws on the side are terrible and don't stand up to even moderate wear and tear. That's my opinion and experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic3500 View Post
    Depends what you want. If you do not mind an approximate scope mount that wobbles and does keep 0, go right ahead.
    The only "real" solutions for scope mounts on an SKS are those who require you to drill and tap the receiver. Anything mounted on the cover is not stable.

Than again I am used to real scoped rifles, for fun plinking and medium to low expectations of accuracy, these could be fun. just don't expect to much.
    If you are determined to have the receiver cover mount, the drill and tap is the best option. The real solution is a Quik rail or a Wartak rail. They are the ultimate in solid SKS scope platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    I didn't have these exact ones but another "dust cover" type mount. was terrible for keeping zero.

I recommend a wartak rail.
    This. It takes a little longer to dis-assemble which for some is a consideration but there is no finer base in my opinion.

Here's a pic of one of my Tacticool SKS featuring the Wartak, it has a shell deflector edge too. As you can see it fixes to the rear sight base with a pin and mounts on the back pin hole of the cover:

I have one. It's "ok" at best. It does wobble and holding the zero is an issue. I wouldn't use it for hunting as it's just not reliable enough. Mind you mine is the one with out those stabalizer feet that come down the side but still. I took up some of the slack in it with some well placed welds on the cover to act as spacers/ chims
    Pro Patria

I had one and they would not hold anywhere near 0
    Unless you want to tighten those screws and locktite them, they were no good to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast