Thread: Wilderness protection in Ontario

Wilderness protection in Ontario

This weekend i'm thinking of going hiking on Crownland in Peterborough County, given that theres a bear problem in the Peterborough Area and another problem with moose becoming infected with brain worms... does anyone know if there are any restrictions on Carrying a firearm for protection on crownland?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermid View Post
    This weekend i'm thinking of going hiking on Crownland in Peterborough County, given that theres a bear problem in the Peterborough Area and another problem with moose becoming infected with brain worms... does anyone know if there are any restrictions on Carrying a firearm for protection on crownland?
    Generally not if your activity mirrors your stated intent if you are ever checked. Don't pack targets, have your PAL with you, don't pack a high powered long gun for "bear protection" optics are better to have a short barrel shotgun over your shoulder or in a backpack. Don't engage in stalking any animals that could be construed as hunting them, bring a camera and check the regs in your area for this activity and firearms discharge rules in the area you are heading to. If you end up shooting something, you better be able to articulate the danger you felt you were in.

Always carry a .20 gauge Remington Youth model pump in bear country,especially in the spring.The wife and I were cornered once by a black bear and all we had were fishing rods in our hands.You never want to have that feeling of helplessness again I tell you.We slowly walked back into the lake up to our knees and got away.From then on when walking people ask me why I carry a shotgun I point to bear scat and say"I don't want to be that".
    CCFR,CSSA,OFAH

CGN frequent flyer
    While I do this often - walk on crown land in Southern Ontario, since coyote is open all year I carry a shotgun, my PAL and a small game licence - that way "nobody", be it cop or game warden can find fault with what I'm doing walking around with a loaded shotgun (provided hunting is permitted on the land) - "I'm hunting coyote's"

I was thinking of using my 12ga mossberg 500, with its pistol grip and 18.5 inch barrel attached.
    I was also thinking of going down the small game licence route aswell