Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modern Hunter and Gen 3 Pmags UPDATE APRIL 7 2015

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar

Modern Hunter and Gen 3 Pmags UPDATE APRIL 7 2015

When we started on the MH project 3 years ago the latest mags from MagPul were Gen 2.
    Once we got the rifle finished and the FRT crap behind us we ordered a PILE of PMags.
    Turns out that in the interim MagPul has altered their mags to a Gen 3 version which does NOT work in our rifle.
    We will be addressing this but thought that we should let folks know this.
    SO IF you have a MH on order and come across Gen 2 Pmags, BUY THEM!!
    We have some mags inbound from several sources for the interim, we will likely be making our own in the near future as much as I did not want to undertake yet another mag project.
    We KNOW that the mags from ASC and C Products mags for the XCR-M work flawlessly as do the Gen 2 PMags
    As soon as we have more info will post it.

Problem solved. We got in the IMI mag today and it fits perfectly and functions 100%.
    These will most likely be our OEM mag of choice for now.

http://www.imidefense.com/black-poly...IMI-Z0013.html
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 04-07-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by D-Boy View Post
    Pmag Gen2 is already discontinued and not available anywhere. If MH need a special mags im not interested anymore.

I hope you will address the problem before the next batch.
    It is a tad late for us to modify the 1st gen rifles, which is why I posted this.
    We will look at a revision for the next runs, AND as mentioned in the original post we know of several options and are investigating more.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Bummer but magpul isn't the only 308 mag manufacturer.

For a ~$3000 rifle, it's a small complaint if there is a premium of $10 on mags. Every rifle I've owned has had some sort of mag malfunction even when it's a proprietary design.

Thanks for the heads up on this ATRS!
    Three gun fun!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    I doubt anyone is so committed to a $30 mag that they'll be overly upset. Good to know though.

In what way do they not work? I find it strange that Magpul gen 3 are so different that they won't work in a rifle that a gen 2 mag functions perfectly in.
    Why wouldn't the magwell have been sized with a little wiggle room to accommodate any mag designed for the DPMS/SR25 pattern rifles?

I wish I had taken a bunch of mags out yesterday when I went shooting with stormchaser, I have at least one gen 3 5/25 and could have tried all the rest while we were shooting. I don't even know what I own, all I know is I have around six 5/20 and one 5/25 (still in the bag, lol).
    Last edited by cr5; 04-02-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Rick, is it similar to the tavor and gen three mags? Can we modify the mag itself to work in our rifles?
    “Okay, I reckon the hare gets ####ed”
    “What, Proper ####ed”

Guys we have a few thousand Gen 3 Pmags in stock that were destined for the MH rifles.
    Due to the fact that we test fire each and every rifle is how we came to learn of the changes in follower angle and other changes such as feed lips that are not compatible with our rifle. The Gen 2 mags that we had when we started this project worked flawlessly, as do the ASC, C Products and Robinson arms mags. Magpul has made changes that we just learned of while trying to get rifles finished and shipped.

As mentioned we ARE looking at alternatives including sucking up the huge cost of making our own mags. It will take a bit of time before we have a definitive cure.
    Having ALL of the 1st production run MH uppers and lowers as well as a good start on the 2nd made and completed, makes it real hard to go back and move the mag catch, and change the angles that the mag is held at within the lower and how it correlates to the upper.

For the 3rd production run we have time to alter the design to accommodate the Gen 3 mags, but before we leap to any rash decision we need a week or 2 to figure out which is the best way to go.
    There is NO need for panic, but as stated earlier IF you see Gen 2 mags for sale BUY THEM!

There is definitely a difference in fit between gen 2-3; gen 2 don't fit in my SL8 Magwell Adapter but gen 3 work fine...go figure
    The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

As long as the changes dont make the XCR pistol mags not fit.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast