Thread: Haenel 9?

Haenel 9?

A couple of quick questions about the Haenel 9, directed at Grumpy or anyone else who happens to know the answer.

On the video, it appears as though closing the action requires that the opening lever be moved back into the locked position manually, rather than snapping back into the locked position automatically as it does on most break-action guns. Am I seeing that right? Any comments on this?

Also, you guys have the Haenel QD mount on your website, but that thing looks as though it weighs more than the entire rifle! Are there any other options for a scope to be mounted on the integral rails? QD is nice, but not essential...but on this gun, I think lightweight is essential. Is there a set of rings available (from Haenel or the aftermarket) that will mount on those rails?

CGN Regular
    Want Haenel Jaeger 9 in 308 Win please!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    A couple of quick questions about the Haenel 9, directed at Grumpy or anyone else who happens to know the answer.

On the video, it appears as though closing the action requires that the opening lever be moved back into the locked position manually, rather than snapping back into the locked position automatically as it does on most break-action guns. Am I seeing that right? Any comments on this?

Also, you guys have the Haenel QD mount on your website, but that thing looks as though it weighs more than the entire rifle! Are there any other options for a scope to be mounted on the integral rails? QD is nice, but not essential...but on this gun, I think lightweight is essential. Is there a set of rings available (from Haenel or the aftermarket) that will mount on those rails?
    Sorry for delay in replying but I have been "otherwise occupied" for the last week.

The opening lever not fully returning to the center is normal on this type of action when new, need lots of use, kept clean and plenty of oil until "run in". I don't have any "petite" mounts in stock but I do agree that the QD are a little on the large size, I will certainly look into this as she is a delightfully light weight rifle.

Thanks for the info, if you could update here if you find out anything else about mounts it would be appreciated. The Haenel website describes the integral rails as an 11mm "Prism" system...the Bubba within me is wondering if a European 11mm rimfire mount would work? Does the receiver top have some sort of recess or divot machined out of it for a recoil lug on the mount to interface with? If so, there are plenty of 11mm mounts designed for air rifles that have recoil stop pins and that might do the trick? If it sounds like I'm being a cheapskate...well, I am a cheapskate, but that's not the reason for the suggestion...rather, just trying to find a lightweight option to make this nice little gun attractive enough to buy.

Here is a view of the integral base. I measure it at just a hair over 11 mm.

Yes, my mistake, the website says 12mm...so much for airgun rings. Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested in one of these neat little guns: after my Haenel 9 (in7x65R) arrived, I began searching for a scope mounting alternative to the Haenel mount. That mount, although probably a typically beautiful and ingenious bit of German engineering, looks like the Incredible Hulk sitting on the gun. I wanted something more along the lines of the Black Widow ..slim, lightweight and sleek to perch on the tiny rifle.

Trial and error experimentation produced some airgun mounts, both one- and two-piece models, that fit the grooves nicely. Sorry, I don't know the manufacturer or model number, or even where they came from...they emerged from my accumulated hoard of bits'n'pieces. Unlike many that I tried, the two-piece set I finally selected tightens on the grooves nicely, and their integral recoil-stop pin mates perfectly with the recess on the Haenel. I've only put about 40 rounds through the gun so far, without any difficulty. Similar rings have survived several hundred rounds of full-power .45-70 in a lightweight Baikal SxS double rifle, so I don't foresee a problem with the 7mm Haenel. This gets me shooting with little fuss or expense, but I doubt it is the permanent solution.

I toyed with the idea of drilling and tapping the nice flat top of the Haenel and installing a flat-bottomed Weaver-type mount, thus allowing the use of a multitude of different rings. A base designed for the Marlin 1895/336 series, or one for the top flat of an octagonal-barreled muzzleloader, is very versatile for this purpose and I've used them with complete success in the past on several oddball guns. I'll probably go this route eventually, but I'll wait a bit. There are a number of European-made mounts for this gun, including some in alloy, which will result in a cleaner, smoother package. I'm hoping John at Wolverine can come up with something that won't overbalance and overpower this little gun.