Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dominion Arms Primers, Awesome Deal!

CGN frequent flyer
    Myself and one other person I know have had problems setting these off in competition guns (lighter than stock mainsprings)
    the rounds wouldn't go off regardless of how many times struck.
    Out of 100, I had 5 not detonate.

Maybe I have a bad batch, but I'll set the rest aside for factory sprung guns and play ammo.
    Will stick to Federal for the competition ammo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    My friends and I have ordered somewhere around 150,000 of these primers in various sizes. We have had the odd dud (I personally have had none but they have had a couple) but I would have to say that's no worse than any other brand. In fact the only dud primer I can remember having in the past 6 months or so was a Winchester SP. I also know that some primer failures are the result of poor reloading technique like not firmly seating the primer in the pocket.

You get a price break ($2/1000) if you order in quantities of 5000 and orders over $200 total get free shipping so even with tax in they can be had for about $32/1000 which has to be $10/1000 cheaper than any others.

My only other comments on quality are that if you're using a PPC style revolver with a very light hammer drop you may find these won't reliably detonate as the primer cups are harder than Federals which most PPC shooters seem to use. Also, several months back someone did a great post (sorry, I can't find it right now) complete with slo-mo photos showing flame sizes of various primers. The Dominion ones were not particularly 'hot' although that would only be an issue if you were trying to ignite large charges of slow burning powder. I've used them exclusively for target handgun loads with fast powders and had no problems whatsoever.

CGN Regular
    Are you using the 7.62x51 in an M305?

Quote Originally Posted by volkov956 View Post
    Only firearm I had issues with was the K11/K31 but I have even reloaded 338 Lapua Magnum with the DA Large Rifle Primers with problem

Successful Reloads with these Primers so far used 4K primers so far

308win, 7.62x51
    7.62x54r
    7.92x57,8x57
    30-06
    338 Lapua Mag

M305 has a HARD strike so I would assume no problems with these primers and M305

Next reloading for me will be in 300 AAC BLK so I'll try the small rifles in those and will check back

Quote Originally Posted by ted_dent View Post
    My friends and I have ordered somewhere around 150,000 of these primers in various sizes. We have had the odd dud (I personally have had none but they have had a couple) but I would have to say that's no worse than any other brand. In fact the only dud primer I can remember having in the past 6 months or so was a Winchester SP. I also know that some primer failures are the result of poor reloading technique like not firmly seating the primer in the pocket.

You get a price break ($2/1000) if you order in quantities of 5000 and orders over $200 total get free shipping so even with tax in they can be had for about $32/1000 which has to be $10/1000 cheaper than any others.

My only other comments on quality are that if you're using a PPC style revolver with a very light hammer drop you may find these won't reliably detonate as the primer cups are harder than Federals which most PPC shooters seem to use. Also, several months back someone did a great post (sorry, I can't find it right now) complete with slo-mo photos showing flame sizes of various primers. The Dominion ones were not particularly 'hot' although that would only be an issue if you were trying to ignite large charges of slow burning powder. I've used them exclusively for target handgun loads with fast powders and had no problems whatsoever.
    If you watch the video in the OP, you'll see the pics of the flame sizes. I asked the CGN member for permission to use them since they were some great quality research.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Spawn-Inc's Avatar
    for lightened hammer springs i would use federals for any kind of competitions, but use dominion primers for practice. the good thing is if you do get a dud it gives you a chance to practice having a round not go off during competition.

my only complaint of the primers is the packaging, i wish they were like CCI or S&B primers as they are smaller.
    CSSA, CCFR Member

Stupid question . Do I need large rifle primers for .308 win?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren saltiel View Post
    Stupid question . Do I need large rifle primers for .308 win?
    Yes
    CSSA Member

I priced these out and after the shipping costs I can get CCI,Winchester,Federal for the same money locally.I would rather support North American products (being a staunch union member) but if they work for you go for it...
    CCFR,CSSA,OFAH

What if you buy 5000 is it still the same price locally ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast