Getting Newbies and Mentors together in the GTA

Thread: Getting Newbies and Mentors together in the GTA

Tags: None

amolkapoor said:

Cool Getting Newbies and Mentors together in the GTA

Hello Everyone,

I am new to shooting, just completed my tests a week ago, and now waiting for my test results to apply for my RPAL. I was at Silverdale last weekend, and absolutely loved it, can't wait to get back to a range again! 😊
    Seeing how expensive and difficult it is to get to a range for a new person, with or without a licence, it would be really helpful if newbies like me could get connected to some mentors. If mentors don't mind, we could tag along to their range, and pay for ammo we use and a nice coffee for the mentor 😇

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? Any ideas/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Amol

2. luckey said:
    It's an idea that won't get you very far because all the ranges I know do charge guest separately. So the "tag along" is not free. This includes SilverDale.
    Then as guest, there is liability issues because the member who takes you in will be fully responsible for anything you did or whatever happened to you. So, once or twice might be fine. it's not going to work in the long run. Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by amolkapoor View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to shooting, just completed my tests a week ago, and now waiting for my test results to apply for my RPAL. I was at Silverdale last weekend, and absolutely loved it, can't wait to get back to a range again! ��
    Seeing how expensive and difficult it is to get to a range for a new person, with or without a licence, it would be really helpful if newbies like me could get connected to some mentors. If mentors don't mind, we could tag along to their range, and pay for ammo we use and a nice coffee for the mentor ��

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? Any ideas/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Amol
    CSSA Life Member

4n2t0 said:

kidcom said:
    Quote Originally Posted by amolkapoor View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to shooting, just completed my tests a week ago, and now waiting for my test results to apply for my RPAL. I was at Silverdale last weekend, and absolutely loved it, can't wait to get back to a range again! ��
    Seeing how expensive and difficult it is to get to a range for a new person, with or without a licence, it would be really helpful if newbies like me could get connected to some mentors. If mentors don't mind, we could tag along to their range, and pay for ammo we use and a nice coffee for the mentor ��

Thanks,
    Amol
    I would suggest that you visit Target Sports up in Gormley Ont. They have people coming in all the time to shoot for a fee. The range is going through a complete renovation right now and it should be completed by the end of the month but you can still shoot up there.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

crasheralex said:
    I met up with two fellow cgn'rs in the GTA who took me out to try some hang guns. I really appreciated it and had a good time. I'm all for going out to the range with people. I don't have a membership anywhere yet but silverdales is only 20$ a day for non-members
    "Take a deep breath, and find your balls..."

6. satrap said:
    if you are up going to crown land count me in :D

7. thechineseguy said:
    personally, i would never bring someone that i didnt know to a range as my guest. i dont know the person so i do not trust the person... especially if i was at my own range (which i am a member of) and this stranger guest could jeopardize my membership if they did something stupid.

amolkapoor said:
    Quote Originally Posted by satrap View Post
    if you are up going to crown land count me in :D
    Satrap, how does the crown land thing work? Don't you need a hunting licence to take firearms on crown land in case someone stops you? Sorry, I'm totally dense on most of this. ��

amolkapoor said:
    Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    It's an idea that won't get you very far because all the ranges I know do charge guest separately. So the "tag along" is not free. This includes SilverDale.
    Then as guest, there is liability issues because the member who takes you in will be fully responsible for anything you did or whatever happened to you. So, once or twice might be fine. it's not going to work in the long run. Nice try though.
    Thanks Luckey and ChineseGuy, I understand how this would affect me as well (liability wise) once I get my licence and Club Membership.

amolkapoor said:
    Quote Originally Posted by crasheralex View Post
    I met up with two fellow cgn'rs in the GTA who took me out to try some hang guns. I really appreciated it and had a good time. I'm all for going out to the range with people. I don't have a membership anywhere yet but silverdales is only 20$ a day for non-members
    Hey Crasheralex,

I called up Silverdale to figure out costs as I had taken their promotional Handgun introduction course initially and was just in the right place at the right time to be able to shoot a Ruger 10/22(which is what I'll get as my first rifle the day my licence arrives), but they are currently charging $60 for unlicenced to shoot 100 rounds of .22LR.
    I might end up going for this $60 package again this weekend or next, as I now understand it is a liability issue for members, but it is actually $120 for me as wifey will be going along again. She is into handguns though, go figure! ��

Thanks again for your response.

Amol