Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into reloading

Getting into reloading

Hi,

I'm told you are the man to speak to about reloading. I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't let me??

I am looking to get a "start up" kit for reloading. I was looking at the Dillon 550b or the Hornady LNL AP. I think I decided on the LNL AP. Apparently, it is safer because it won't over charge?

Could you provide a price for everything I will need to reload (excluding powder, case, bullets, primers) based on the LNL AP or your suggestion? I am looking to load .223, 9mm, and .308

Shipping would be to Ottawa, ON

Thanks

BANNED
    You can check stock and prices on his web page and get a shipping estimate as well, failing that he lists his ph number on the site but you may have to leave a msg

You probably ment to send this to someone.

I did, as I said in the post it wouldn't let me private message him, maybe because he's a dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxdj View Post
    You can check stock and prices on his web page and get a shipping estimate as well, failing that he lists his ph number on the site but you may have to leave a msg
    Ya I checked the site, but I really don't know what I need and I'm hoping if Im buying everything I can get some kind of deal or break on shipping.

If you have decided on Hornady then you could go with Hornady l&l Classic kit, dies and shell plates for the caliber of choice, bullet puller, caliphers, a set of digital scales and a good reloading manual. I suggest you start with pistol calibers and then get into rifle calibers since that requires extra bits and bobs. And you will also need tumbler to clean your used brass.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerash View Post
    If you have decided on Hornady then you could go with Hornady l&l Classic kit, dies and shell plates for the caliber of choice, bullet puller, caliphers, a set of digital scales and a good reloading manual. I suggest you start with pistol calibers and then get into rifle calibers since that requires extra bits and bobs. And you will also need tumbler to clean your used brass.
    I want the progressive because I don't want to spend money on a single then have to upgrade two months from now. I want to spend big, get it done and be happy with what I have. I realize the learning curve with be bigger but I for 223 and 9mm I want to produce 250-500 rounds of each per month.... The 308 I will probably get a single for down the line but those seem to be easier to find used and cheap.

Thanks for the list though, I will look into the rest

Best bet is to start off with a reloading Manual and go from there. Lots of good information for someone starting out. It'll give you a strong of idea of what's needed and what's nice to have. The safety piece is also valuable.

I am sure Henry will answer all your questions but here are a few notes, some of which already covered:

Items likely needed assuming you go with the Hornady LNL AP:
    1) Shell plate for each caliber
    2) Dies for each caliber, likely a taper crimp die set for the 9mm
    3) Extra set of LNL AP bushings for swapping out the dies
    4) Do you want a case feeder or bullet feeder???? These are separate add-ons or you can buy the fully outfitted press.
    5) Tumbler etc -- depending on if you want to wet/dry tumble or ultrasonic clean you will need something. This probably depends a lot on your budget and amount of free time as well as how clean/shiny you want the brass and primer pockets. It appears a lot of people doing pistol brass just dry tumble because they don't want the extra step of removing the primers. You will need a media separator for when tumbling is done.
    6) Scale - from my reading you can't beat the accuracy of a beam scale but they are slow so many people opt for a good quality digital scale or both.
    7) Calipers
    8) Case go/no go gauge
    9) bullet puller
    10) reloading manual
    11) Hornady Powder Cop or RCBS Lockout Die for checking powder

I am sure there is more, my suggestion is email or call Henry and he will help you out.

Supporting Dealer Henry Nierychlo's Avatar
    I'm around. Please call me at 778-858-3669 between 12:00 noon & 4:00 pm Pacific time. & we can figure out what you need.

Regards, Henry

AKA (Budget Shooter Supply) Click on the Banner at the Top of the Page Also at www.budgetshootersupply.ca

Now Stocking Dillon, Hornady & Lee Presses & Dies !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast