Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Very Disappointed with The Epp's Bluing Process

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aries-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garaldtao View Post
    Agreed. To do the job right, it would have cost more than a new 1911. The gunsmith should have turned it down if he or she was not planning to do the work correctly. Who knows why they took on the job? The $250 profit is definatly not worth the hassle. If the pistol had sentimental value then the customer should be prepared to pay to have the job done correctly. You can not expect the world for $250.

On the flip side, Epps should have conceded and admitted that they should not have taken on such a difficult job for so little money instead of going on the attack. There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of humility, in fact in most cases, humility is a sign of strength, professionalism and respect of which non have been demonstrated here. I feel that a company with years of experience and so called experts working for them should have dealt with the situation from the time when the pistol walked through the door. And when it slips through the cracks they should have admitted that they should not have taken on the job. I would give the customer the benifit of the doubt because he is not a gunsmith and do not have any idea as to what it would take to get something looking like it just came out of the factory.

OK so the OP was ill informed and Epps is not admitting any lack of judgement on how they dealt with the situation from the begining or about how they are reacting to this thread. I would say that I would have to side with the OP which gives me an uneasy feeling because by saying this, will I be verbally attacked by Epps? It is too bad because I am a new customer of their's and since the begining of this year I dropped over $8000.00 there. I like the young guy who had helped me out with the purchase of my shotgun and he even answered all my questions about the long range stuff which is what he specialized in. I am kinda on the fence about going back because such as the OP, I do not want to be ridiculed for not knowing something after they have taken my hard earned money... I am just saying.
    And it has been stated the giy wanted a bead blasted finish. That is what he got. As far as i know there was no promis of filling in holes. So really the guy got exactly what he asked for on the workorder. The gun was beadblasted and hotblued.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries- View Post
    And it has been stated the giy wanted a bead blasted finish. That is what he got. As far as i know there was no promis of filling in holes. So really the guy got exactly what he asked for on the workorder. The gun was beadblasted and hotblued.
    Wrong... If he got what he asked for, this post would not exist! The OP obviously had high expectations and it is the responsibility of a seasoned professional who has been in the industry for so many years, to tell him that bead blasting and bluing will not cover any of the pits, write those details on the work order and have the customer sign it, that way if any dispute arises the work order would settle all. In fact, if the work order addresses these issues then the store would not have any problems posting a copy online (with the OP's personal info blacked out of course). Truth be told a true professional would have refused this job or at this point admit that they did not realize what the OP's expectations were and it was their mistake for taking on this job. If I was working there, the OP would either have a new pistol transferred into his name or would have happily paid more than what a new gun would cost to save something of sentimental value, at this point. If anyone argues that this is what the OP expected, show it to me in writing and explain to me why this post exist!?!

Super Moderator
    OP's complaint was about the colour - black.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    OP's complaint was about the colour - black.
    That is true... How did that get lost in the mix!?! Guess I was so taken aback by the overall condition of the gun. If that was my gun, the colour would be the least of my worries. Thanx for pointing that out, tiriaq. Lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer handofzeus's Avatar
    Perhaps Epps (being professionals and likely more able to predict the outcome on such a bad specimen!) should have contacted the owner after they received the gun and simply voicde their concern that the gun is NOT worth the cost of blueing or that it likely won't meet the customer's expectations. Seems like a case of a business providing a service just to make a buck. Now, if you look up the definition of 'business'.............'nuff said.
    Canada ended when Trudeau began.

At what time should a business walk away from a job? I'd be interested if they made any attempt to explain the impossible just wasn't possible. If they didn't they should have seen this coming. Good businesses don't take every job that comes their way.
    Thanks

Graham

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Sounds like the finished color was assumed by the OP and never actually "requested".
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Those old gun were parkerized not bued. Anyway in the pitted condition the gun was, it was not worth refinishing unless pitting was filed and repaired. In my view,was a waste of money. Bad decision.

Work order attached to gun says bead blast and blue, how does the gunsmith know what expected colour by customer. He must assume the customer knows what he wants and has done his research. Or should they call every customer. The backlog at epps last I heard was about 6 weeks, it's not like the gunsmith took the order yesterday if at all.

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head
    Quote Originally Posted by Garaldtao View Post
    Agreed. To do the job right, it would have cost more than a new 1911. The gunsmith should have turned it down if he or she was not planning to do the work correctly. Who knows why they took on the job? The $250 profit is definatly not worth the hassle. If the pistol had sentimental value then the customer should be prepared to pay to have the job done correctly. You can not expect the world for $250.

On the flip side, Epps should have conceded and admitted that they should not have taken on such a difficult job for so little money instead of going on the attack. There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of humility, in fact in most cases, humility is a sign of strength, professionalism and respect of which non have been demonstrated here. I feel that a company with years of experience and so called experts working for them should have dealt with the situation from the time when the pistol walked through the door. And when it slips through the cracks they should have admitted that they should not have taken on the job. I would give the customer the benifit of the doubt because he is not a gunsmith and do not have any idea as to what it would take to get something looking like it just came out of the factory.

OK so the OP was ill informed and Epps is not admitting any lack of judgement on how they dealt with the situation from the begining or about how they are reacting to this thread. I would say that I would have to side with the OP which gives me an uneasy feeling because by saying this, will I be verbally attacked by Epps? It is too bad because I am a new customer of their's and since the begining of this year I dropped over $8000.00 there. I like the young guy who had helped me out with the purchase of my shotgun and he even answered all my questions about the long range stuff which is what he specialized in. I am kinda on the fence about going back because such as the OP, I do not want to be ridiculed for not knowing something after they have taken my hard earned money... I am just saying.