Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 103113115116117118119120121122123
Results 1,221 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Looking at Nosler manual for .308 168gr Bullets Ramshot Big Game has best velocity.

Big Game is a little slower burning than Varget which is pretty accurate powder for 168.

I have had excellent results from Big Game in 7mm-08....so it should work well in .308?

Anyone ever try Big Game in Semi-Auto ?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by farshot View Post
    That bullet is a very long bullet for a set mag length. One uses up a lot of case space with that bullet.
    I tried the longer target bullets in my .308 MH, but gave up due to low velocities as trade off to use high BC bullets.
    I use that exact bullet in my 5.5x284 F Class rifle, but I have the freedom to set it way out of the neck.
    Very much appreciate your post. I only tried the Bergers because I have 1000 of them on the shelf for a 6.5x47 bolt rifle. Ultimately I want to ring steel at 1200 metres with the MH, so I wanted the high BC. But at the end of the day, this dog won't hunt.

I am getting a box of Scenar-L 136, and a box Scenar 123, to try next. I also have some SMK 142s on hand, which I think have better geometry than the Bergers for mag-feeding. Hopefully one of those will work well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    A quick range report from today. I found a new .308 bullet that shows great promise in my lightweight Jury barrel. It's the Speer Target Match 168gr propelled by AA2520 powder. Here were the first 5 shots today. A second group was good too. I will have to load some more of these soon.

That's wicked group....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 350 Mag View Post
    That's wicked group....
    Yes. it looks easily .5 moa and unfortunately I used most of these rounds up in my 700 before trying them in the MH today.

Another thing to note is that this rifle has never jammed or failed to eject in 3 years I've owned it. It has been 100% flawless with both types of mags and all ammo I've fed it (at least 20 types).

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by propliner View Post
    Yes. it looks easily .5 moa and unfortunately I used most of these rounds up in my 700 before trying them in the MH today.

Another thing to note is that this rifle has never jammed or failed to eject in 3 years I've owned it. It has been 100% flawless with both types of mags and all ammo I've fed it (at least 20 types).
    It is nice to see some positive reports coming out again. I have never had any issues with either my MH or MV and accuracy has been in my opinion very good.
    I know of several others who own these rifles and they seem to also be having great success, but there sure is some hate from others, to the point that many owners refuse to post anything on the forums.
    Nice work!!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheRock View Post
    Those velocities seem pretty low for a 6.5 CM. What bullet are you using?
    I think that is all I am going to get out of an 18.6" barrel (I have since corrected my initial post, barrel is much shorter than I thought). My bullet is different, and has a different bearing surface, but the Hodgdon manual is giving a maximum safe MV of 2670 fps out of a 24" barrel. If I correct that for my barrel length, at around 50 fps/inch, I get around 2400 fps.

I am not going to go any higher in powder charge. I am getting better accuracy with the 136 Scenar-L bullets I am trying now.

Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    I think that is all I am going to get out of an 18.6" barrel (I have since corrected my initial post, barrel is much shorter than I thought). My bullet is different, and has a different bearing surface, but the Hodgdon manual is giving a maximum safe MV of 2670 fps out of a 24" barrel. If I correct that for my barrel length, at around 50 fps/inch, I get around 2400 fps.

I am not going to go any higher in powder charge. I am getting better accuracy with the 136 Scenar-L bullets I am trying now.
    Your velocities don't look too bad, I'm running 129gr Hornady SST's and getting just a hair under 2700fps and some nice groups.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.