Page 35 of 123 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313233343536373839404142434555 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

Quote Originally Posted by Gorno View Post
    I am not sure if this has been addressed in the thread, as it was too long to read, but have any left handed owners commented? I am curious as to how easy the charging handle is to operate for lefties.

I would honestly think that it would be easier for lefties. .. I'm right handed and the charging handle on the right side, ie sks or browning bar is much easier for me to operate than a handle on the left side.

Last edited by 6MT; 02-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.

I love the right handed charging handle on my VZ-58. But, most right handed people do not. I feel like the charging handle on this rifle would be damn near in possible to reach with any optics mounted. Especially since it is so far recessed; unlike the VZ-58's handle that is above the bore

I am a lefty shooter. the charging handle is relatively easy to access for me in a shooting position, BUT I have advocated in the past that I dislike the charging handle because it hinders right handed access. I believe that the standard ar-10/ar-15 style charging handle would not have made a difference in classification. I have mentioned this again in the upcoming MV thread as well. The charging handle on the left side also SEVERELY limits buttstocks, which i believe to be a marquee part of any of these builds (we are all built different, with different needs). Since the MV is a more popular size for most, I think we will see more people realizing they cant use their favorite stocks on the MV because of the charging handle.

Regardless, I own and love my MH. Anywhere i go (shooting) its the first rifle i throw in the truck, and a pleasure to shoot. I am going to be in line for the MV when it is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I am a lefty shooter. the charging handle is relatively easy to access for me in a shooting position, BUT I have advocated in the past that I dislike the charging handle because it hinders right handed access. I believe that the standard ar-10/ar-15 style charging handle would not have made a difference in classification. I have mentioned this again in the upcoming MV thread as well. The charging handle on the left side also SEVERELY limits buttstocks, which i believe to be a marquee part of any of these builds (we are all built different, with different needs). Since the MV is a more popular size for most, I think we will see more people realizing they cant use their favorite stocks on the MV because of the charging handle.

Regardless, I own and love my MH. Anywhere i go (shooting) its the first rifle i throw in the truck, and a pleasure to shoot. I am going to be in line for the MV when it is released.
    Thanks for the information. It doesn't sound particularly convenient for lefties. I don't want to sound like a rube, but what about the left hand charging handle interferes with stock options.

When the charging handle is pulled back to open the bolt, it comes past the castle nut and part way up the buffer tube.

Pic from this video,
    [YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/H-VbLCCNfQ0[/YOUTUBE]

Just my 2 cents. I trained with the FN - left side charging handle. I've shot the XCR-M - left side charging handle. As far as I'm concerned, it should be easier for lefties to use, rather than right handed shooters. Maybe not doing a combat mag change, but in the world I use my firearms in, it's easier. For a right handed shooter to work the charging handle he has to hold the entire weight of the gun in his right hand, and work the charging handle with his left. Both the SKS and 858 with right side charging handles are far easier to work the bolt, supporting the weight of the gun with your support hand. As for stocks, and people saying that it might affect popularity because people can't use their "favorite" stock. The only stock that I'm aware of that it won't work with is the UBR, because of the width. It will support the PRS, the A2, and pretty much all carbine stocks. So what we really have is one type of stock that won't work, rather than a "multitude."

Quote Originally Posted by stjones View Post
    When the charging handle is pulled back to open the bolt, it comes past the castle nut and part way up the buffer tube.

Pic from this video,
    [YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/H-VbLCCNfQ0[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you. Hmm I see the issue now. That is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorno View Post
    Thank you. Hmm I see the issue now. That is a shame.
    Trade offs. That little metal bar also seals off the charging slot so that the shooter doesn't get any gas in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Trade offs. That little metal bar also seals off the charging slot so that the shooter doesn't get any gas in the face.
    Well I will be shooting it left handed, so gas/casings are already a reality for this cat.