Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AT 15 Mags

CGN Ultra frequent flyer okcorral1881's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GR0M View Post
    Tested them on range today and they ran flawlessly!
    Great, good to hear...... Does the the ammo sit lower behind the front lip as described by Duuder? I haven't tried mine but I really like them......I will definitely order more!!!
    CSSA.......CCFR.......NRA........NFA..........EOSC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Here's the problem with one of my three mags. The tip of the ammo sits just below the top of the lip. Second pic shows where they are starting to gouge the lip of the mag. I would put a file to the lip and remove about 1/16" but I don't want to void my warranty.

CSSA Member

Curious as to what kind of of ammo was used? mine cycled just fine with American Eagle and IVI.

These magazines are very nice, and they seat on a closed bolt!
    Noticed rounds were sitting slightly low in six of ten magazines, but I found the problem was just enough excess flashing on the front edge to impede stripping the cartridge. Twenty seconds with a pocket knife fixed the problem.
    They worked flawlessly in both my AR and Tavor after trimming.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Here's the problem with one of my three mags. The tip of the ammo sits just below the top of the lip. Second pic shows where they are starting to gouge the lip of the mag. I would put a file to the lip and remove about 1/16" but I don't want to void my warranty.

Don't go full on crazy, but if you take a rat tail file and remove a little bit of the front wall you should be fine.
    Worst case you are still covered.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Regular
    Are there plans for another revision to these magazines to address the issue that some people are experiencing? I want to order more and give these mags another try, but only if this issue is fixed beforehand. The build quality and materials seem top notch, and your customer support has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Don't go full on crazy, but if you take a rat tail file and remove a little bit of the front wall you should be fine.
    Worst case you are still covered.
    Just what I wanted to hear. I'll work on 'em t'nite. Thanks.
    CSSA Member

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duuder View Post
    Are there plans for another revision to these magazines to address the issue that some people are experiencing? I want to order more and give these mags another try, but only if this issue is fixed beforehand. The build quality and materials seem top notch, and your customer support has been excellent.
    We are always looking at ways to improve our products. At $50000.00 per set of molds, this is becoming a REAL spendy venture. The 1st batch cost me nearly $100000.00 by the time all the out of spec mags were shipped back and the replacements shipped out. This does not account for the cost of the actual mags themselves. So far about 95% of the feed back from the latest batch has been positive, but again it is early so we want to wait a bit until more folks have had time to run them and let us know what their experiences have been.
    We tested the bejesus out of this batch, but only in AT15s and a couple of other brands that I happen to own. Tavors have been a mixed bag of results. I don't own 1 but had some access to 2 and those 2 ran fine, others I am hearing are experiencing issues.

Once we recover from the loss and gather more intel on improvements we "MAY" embark on Gen 3 of our inhouse made mags.
    Taking into account the CAA debacle, I am still on the fence about dumping more cash into mags however.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer okcorral1881's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Just what I wanted to hear. I'll work on 'em t'nite. Thanks.
    So Trinimon..........................did you have time to work on them?
    CSSA.......CCFR.......NRA........NFA..........EOSC

Quote Originally Posted by okcorral1881 View Post
    So Trinimon..........................did you have time to work on them?
    I did work on lowering the lip on that one mag and it did help considerably but there are still some feeding issues with one of my rifles. I lowered the lip approx 1.6mm which was the point where I stopped seeing impact markings on the mag. The stock lip was approx 2.3mm below the top of the mag.

Seems that the mag sits lower in my Noveske receiver and just enough so that the tip of the bullet would run into the area directly below the feed ramp of the upper receiver. On an open bolt on my Noveske rifle, the problem occurs roughly 30% of the time. On a closed bolt, the problem is 80%. Seems the follower is a little slow lifting up the front part after it is pressed down from the closed bolt or changes the orientation of the mag. There is a bit of back and forth play with the mag in the magwell. If I push the bottom of the mag towards the muzzle, it would raise the front of the mag enough so that the ammo would cycle 100% of the time. Conversely, if I pull back on the mag, it is almost guaranteed to fail. This Noveske lower has worked 100% with LAR15 mags, XCR Pistol mags, AA 50Beowulf poly mags, PCV Gen1 and Gen2 mags and Magpul PMags.

The mag seats fine in my DD and Rainier lowers so that the tip of the bullet catches the feed ramp and are able to cycle on an open and closed bolt with 100% reliability.

Swapping the upper that is on the Noveske onto the DD and Rainier Arms lowers had a 100% function so that rules out the upper being out of spec. All three lowers have Norgon ambi mag release

It is possible that the Noveske lower has more play in the magwell compared to the DD and Rainier Arms and the looser fitted AT15 mag just compounds the problem placing everything out of spec for problem free feeding.

Magazine width at the mag catch notch:

AA 50 Beowulf poly mag: 2.591"
    Magpul Pmag: 2.534"
    PCV 50 Beowulf: 2.541"
    AT15 Pistol mag: 2.466"
    Last edited by Trinimon; 04-18-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    CSSA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast