Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Non restricted lower and the DA50 upper Pics added May 4 2105

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 8 ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cigar_man View Post
    As it stands now, the DA-50 is a AR-15 upper.

Once the DA-50 upper is modified to no longer accept a AR-15 lower, it is no longer a AR-15 upper.

It is then mated with the new Alberta Tactical NR lower.

Simple.
    This guy gets it!!

Rick,

Two separate thoughts/suggestions:

I have no idea what you did to your NR lower, but after studying the upper I borrowed from Chris, I came up with a possible solution.
    The upper gets a couple of blind holes drilled in the mating surface, perhaps 1/4" dia and 1/4" deep.
    The NR lower is similar to a regular AR lower, BUT HAS TWO 1/4" DOWELS THAT PROTRUDE UPWARDS, TO MATE WITH THE HOLES IN THE UPPER.
    These dowels flat out prevent a standard AR15 upper attaching to the NR lower, so it cannot be considered a AR lower.

If someone is fine with a range-queen gun, they can still use their existing AR15 lower, the two holes in the upper are simply void space.

Second thought. Can you make your NR lower from real steel, rather than aluminum? Al is the perfect choice for a light carbine, but for a 50BMG, extra weight is a good thing. Stretched holes are not.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzauger View Post
    I am wondering if Im the only one here that wants to know how accurate these are before a purchase? I mean is , 2 or 3 moa acceptable. has anybody been able to get the DA barrels shoot to an acceptable level for a 50?
    I've talked with CanAm about the gun and the "DA Barrels" are manufactured by a major US gun manufacturer and brought in as blanks to be used in this gun so they should get some accuracy out of it, haven't shot it for groups at any distance yet as the NR lower isn't available but I was able to hit rocks at 100 fairly easy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular View Post
    It's my understanding that the upper is made in Canada, not China.

I don't know by whom, exactly.
    correct, made in Canada
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

Quote Originally Posted by cndrussty View Post
    Now if you could make some pistol type versions of these that would be great.
    What would be the point in a pistol version? These are single shot custom uppers.

You can never be too rich, too good looking or too well armed!

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somedudepspcrazy View Post
    If this is true, then the same part of the "law" would prevent you from modifying the DA50 upper, as it is classified no different than any other "AR-15 Upper".
    There certainly IS some weirdness in the laws. IF we were to shorten the barrel, that would be illegal as stupid as that is. However we are not but we are making a structural modification to a NON regulated firearm part to fit a specific use only that happens to then make the entire unit NON restricted as our lower is NOT an AR variant of any sort.

Weird huh?
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by luke s View Post
    Think you were thinking the canadian CS50, which is around 3k
    I dunno... I thought Alberta tac said the NR lower is $750. The 50bmg from Canam is $1600. Is it going to fit straight on? I thought anything that gets mounted to this NR lower is gonna need a smith. So I assumed at the end of the day it was gonna be about $3000 by the time you buy, ship it around, get labor done... etc...

EDIT: NVM!
    The lower with the upper modifications is $750.00
    So that's actually pretty good! ~$2350 for a 50bmg that's NR.
    You can never be too rich, too good looking or too well armed!

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 257hunter View Post
    I think atrs said the lower was $750 including their work to fit it to the upper. Please correct me if I've got this wrong.
    You are correct, there will be parts from a standard LPK required as well but if it came to $50.00 i would be surprised.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer F22_RaptoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somedudepspcrazy View Post
    Okay, so, to create a non-restricted firearm, you could:
    Create a lower, which does not accept AR uppers (which you have already done).
    Modify an upper such that is is accepted by your lower, and not accepted by AR lowers.

If you can do it with the DA50 upper, why can't you do it with ANY upper?
    The lower in question is going to probably be similar to this:

Something that cannot accept a magazine or anything that could make it semi-automatic.

This is a very careful dance they are doing with the RCMP. They have to make it different enough that a regular AR15 upper can't go on, but similar enough so that the .50 BMG uppers can attach to it (with modifications). If they don't make it different enough, the RCMP will call it an AR15 lower and it's restricted (doesn't matter that it's only single shot). If they make it too different, then the uppers won't go on without hours of machining and fitting, and there is no point.

If you're trying to get a non-restricted AR15 or a rifle similar TO it, ATRS has said they are planning on making a rifle variant of their Modern Hunter scaled down to .223 which will hopefully use some handguards and a wider variety of accessories.

BANNED
    Nobody in a position of authority has ever stated that an AR lower is defined as having the ability to accept an AR upper. That is not in law, or regulation. If every upper receiver on the planet were banned and destroyed, a stripped lower that the RCMP classifies as having been a variant of the Colt AR15, it would still be a restricted firearm. Got a flowerpot the lab deems a variant? Restricted. Cigarette lighter that they think is a variant of the AR? Restricted. Possibly prohibited as a flame-thrower

That was the whole kerfuffle over the Swiss Arms - the RCMP lab decided after the fact that they were descended from the prohib SG550 and as such, prohibs. Note that it wasn't that they could be made full-auto, but were descended from a prohib. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to envision the RCMP deciding that a lower is in fact a variant of the AR and as such, restricted.

ATR has stated that their lower is not an AR and I will take them at their word on that.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost~Rider View Post
    Ha Ha "Gentleman (from Latin gentilis) we will leave it there I think.

So, glad you piped in. How heavy was that gun fired? Did you need to double up on ear protection?
    The upper weighs 20 pounds, plus whatever you add to it. The weight plus the efficient muzzle brake eats the recoil quite well.
    I did wear plugs and muffs the first time, not the second time. The shooter doesnt get nearly the blast compared to standing along side it.
    When I was video-ing others shooting, I got hit by a wall of blast.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowedpoint View Post
    That's tootall!! All this time I thought he was a young guy! Lol
    I AM a young guy!
    I die my hair grey to make me look more distinguished. Chics dig that..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast