Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Non restricted lower and the DA50 upper Pics added May 4 2105

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    The upper weighs 20 pounds, plus whatever you add to it. The weight plus the efficient muzzle brake eats the recoil quite well.
    I did wear plugs and muffs the first time, not the second time. The shooter doesnt get nearly the blast compared to standing along side it.
    When I was video-ing others shooting, I got hit by a wall of blast.
    Sound! Some relevant info thanks. 20lb for the upper is approaching Barrett 99 weight by the time you add the lower, bi-pod, Etc. (The gun looks 15lb max)

The recoil looked alittle more aggressive compaired to a 99, maybe it's the brake and its design. Seems like the initial blast is directed sideways which is nice (Not for the people shooting either side)

Thanks or the info. If you have more infomation about the upper and overall gun, please post it up.

Even some close up pictures would be nice.
    Now I have a shotgun ... 'HO-HO-HO'

just be happy ATRS is going through the effort of dealing with the gestappo (which is a whole other world of pain in frustration as you probably all know) and trying to bring something to market that may actually see use in something other than being a holepunch at the range (although a rather large one). if we as a community try and get a non restricted "AR thats not an AR" or make a "pistol" so we can have ten round mags. They will bring the hammer down and inevitably undo all the liberties we have managed to wrench from their fists. (beowulf mags, LAR mags, and all the other semi .223's that shoot as well if not better than an AR. maybe if they are feeling in a really good mood they will prohib anything that shoots .223 or .50bmg (like they did with .32 or.25)

Buy the lower and modified upper enjoy shooting a really big gun.

Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    I guess I'm a bit confused; I thought the uppers are not controlled (except length and that is for the final product when upper and lower put together); they don't have serial numbers on them how can they be controlled anyways. They are simply considered as barrels; I brought a Mech-Tech conversion unit with me in 2007, showed the border guys what it is; they said they'll hold it until they figure out what it is, and returned it to me 8 weeks later.

Am I correct to assume ATRS' single shot lower has an FRT entry as a NR firearm? If it does; why what I put on it would make a difference?

Reason I'm asking is because some years ago I was planning to order Tactilite .50 and .338 kits; at that time they were coming up with their single shot lowers. Decided to wait and see if that lower will make it this way NR, then my interest faded away...

An AR15 upper on one of these lowers that doesn't have a magazine well is not an AR-15 variant anymore; heck it doesn't take a magazine; so it should have a different FRT number...
    You are correct. The upper is just a part, not the "firearm".
    You could strap it to your back and drive your motorcycle back and forth thru a school zone all day long if you want.
    You just can't have a Restricted lower with you when you do.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    We received the DA50 upper today. First impression is that is seems very well made, but more importantly it CAN be altered slightly and our NR lower will work just fine.

Now we just need some time to machine a bunch of lowers.
    For those interested please contact us at the shop directly.
    As soon as we have a bit of time we will mod this upper and take photos.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by boss351cleveland View Post
    How will these hold up to the .50 over time? Are they beefed up at all compared to a standard AR lower ? could one be made from steel?
    On a standard AR15 lower they last up just fine from my experiences with a Ferret upper years ago. We have beefed up what we build more to make it look proportionate than structure.
    Steel would be REAL expensive and is not required. 7075 T651 is being used and has more than enough strength to do the job.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

So. . .Single shot, AR-looking, non-restricted, 50 BMG rifle for ~$2500. That's pretty damn good as a Canadian option.
    Give or take a few Canadian Green Backs, Yes, one helluva deal.

The more the merrier if you ask me.

Thank you Canada Ammo and Alberta Tactical Rifle for the pleasure.
    cigar_man (The Original)

CDN Forces (Army) 1985-90

www.garths.ca

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    not to beat up anyone over pricing..... the 1599.00 for the upper I get.
    the modifications/labour is where I see the cost for the NR finished product because anything similar to an AR lower (but not an AR lower) should be pretty affordable to CNC considering the current price of AR lowers..... considering the machining requirement similarities. I realize I could be way off base here tho....
    I looked at the wife this evening and asked her if she thought we needed a 50BMG for the household needs...... her exact words and I quote "##### ya, why not" ........ I gots me a good one. no surprise she's from Bosnia

question for Rick/ATRS crew..... should we be buying the upper from canam now and sending it in when this is greenlighted or are you going to supply a finished rifle for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by hootguy View Post
    $700.00 is pretty dam pricy for a lower,,especially if it's a stripped lower,,which it probably would be,,i mean look at the prices for lowers around,,most are 1/4 of that...i realize NR is the goal,,,but that's a hell of a premium for that..pretty sure a regualr lower with NO MAGWELL,,or the possibility of installing one should pass pretty easily in the RCMP lab,,i mean,,,,if the RCMP tried holding that up with their bull####,,,another PUBLIC,,,VERY PUBLIC publicity campaign by Firearms industry reps would CLEARLY show the regular public how the RCMP is GOING way out of their way to BLOCK firearms manufacturing in Canada with IDIOTIC excuses,,i mean a lower with no possiblity of EVER being able to be more than a single shot is pretty clear to understand,,i doubt the RCMP would want THAT kind of attention to their corruptness to be brought in the public eye AGAIN,,,they are already on thin ice and they know it,,the average joe in the non gun public isn't stupid,,and when clearly shown the RCMP'd underhanded tactics understand that what the RCMP is doing is BULLYING the firearms enthousiast,,,wonder how they'd feel is the RCMP went after their high end sportscar simply because they look TOO DANGEROUS,,,and try and say it's to keep the public safe,,,even though you STILL have to follow the speed limit no matter what car you drive,,
    No offense meant, and I agree with some of your thoughts, but you do NOT have a clue about what it takes to design, then write all the programs to make a VERY specific part that has an EXTREMELY small market, navigate the, in this case the lower, through the legal system and then get it into production.

Maybe you should try it and your tune about the cost will change DRAMATICALLY! Producing a very small number of lowers that have NO value in any other country in the world means that the very small number of people who truly desire this custom for Canada only designed item will have to pony up to cover the cost of the design, programming and manufacturing of the extremely specialize lower, or shoot a gun that is restricted.
    Only a small specialty shop such as mine would even entertain bothering to undertake such a high risk low return venture. I don't see any of the big name mass produced manufacturers jumping at the chance to make 50 or so unique lowers. There is a phrase you should look up. "Economies of scale".

Although I agree that the system for legal classification is totally screwed and that the SFSS lab is a rogue department with little or no accountability, THEY still have the power and the firearms industry is forced to dance to THEIR tune.
    Getting up on a soap box and ranting will not solve any problems, reform of the system IS required. Are you leading this reform or merely whining and wanting others to do this for you?

I for 1 spent time very recently along with 4 other high profile members of the firearms industry meeting with Minister Blaney about this.
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Your car analogy can be further extrapolated. With your logic a VERY limited production car say like a Lambo or Maserati should not cost anymore than a Kia or Hyundia? The Lambo and Maserati are a WHOLE DIFFERENT car than the Kia or Hyundia. Both might get you to work but guess what the latter 2 sell likely 10000 to 1 what the first 2 do. The first 2 are LOW production very specialized vehicles and the manufacturer puts a price on them based on what it costs to make them.
    The latter 2 are mass produced cars designed to sell to a specific market and are made on assembly lines manned by folks who get paid FAR lower wages than the Italian craftsmen who made a few Lambos or Maseratis every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    not to beat up anyone over pricing..... the 1599.00 for the upper I get.
    the modifications/labour is where I see the cost for the NR finished product because anything similar to an AR lower (but not an AR lower) should be pretty affordable to CNC considering the current price of AR lowers..... considering the machining requirement similarities. I realize I could be way off base here tho....
    I looked at the wife this evening and asked her if she thought we needed a 50BMG for the household needs...... her exact words and I quote "##### ya, why not" ........ I gots me a good one. no surprise she's from Bosnia

question for Rick/ATRS crew..... should we be buying the upper from canam now and sending it in when this is greenlighted or are you going to supply a finished rifle for sale?
    See my reply to hootguy for pricing. It should shed some light on why these seem to have a high cost.
    People have to understand that a machine shop in Calgary shop rates run $125.00 to $150.00 and it take a lot more than half an hour to simply machine a lower out. By the time you turn a $100.00 block of aluminum into a lower, just over 2 hours of actual machine time and the cost to do the final hand finish of each part and have it anodized.
    The cost of the upper modification takes over an hour on its own. AND is included in the $750.00 price, which most seem to be overlooking for some reason.

For those few who want a NON restricted purpose built lower and are willing to pay for what it took and will take to get these into limited production we are suggesting to talk with Canada Ammo and see if they will ship the upper directly to us so as to get the upper mods done in batches rather than 1 at a time.

Given the number of guys who have emailed they are interested and the amount of it is not cheap enough for many given some of the posts in this thread, BEFORE we go ANY further I think it is everyone involved s interest, especially that of ATRS that we set up a pre order.

Rather than for us to take on the cost of having to re-create the stolen programs, which is an EXPENSIVE undertaking. Purchasing the aluminum which works out to pennies under $100.00 per lower and then having a number of "I'll take 1" decide not to that a pre-order is required.

IF we get around 50 folks who pony up a deposit we will proceed, if we do not within 2 months get enough pre-orders to warrant moving forward further we will refund the deposits.

I would propose that a $250.00 deposit is not out of line. The old saying of put your money where your mouth/typing fingers is, is the plan.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast