Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Non restricted lower and the DA50 upper Pics added May 4 2105

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar

Our Non restricted lower and the DA50 upper Pics added May 4 2105

The good folks at Canada Ammo have brought out a 50 BMG BOLT ACTION SINGLE SHOT upper designed to fit an AR15 lower, similar I suspect to the Feret or safety Harbor 50 cal upper.
    Ofcourse this then becomes a restricted firearm.
    6 or 7 years ago ATRS came up with a NON restricted lower that with a minor irreversible modification to the BOLT ACTION SINGLE SHOT 50 BMG upper makes the entire rifle NON restricted.
    We have had a flurry of inquiries since Canada Ammo released their DA50 and so far the best answer to whether our lower will work has been maybe.
    I just ordered a DA50 from Ryan, with the plan of making certain this is possible which frankly I believe is 99.9% possible but want to make certain.
    Stand by for further intel.

Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 05-04-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: photo added
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff B View Post
    Wait a minute...Do you have a non-restricted lower that will make a standard 5.56 AR non-restricted, or are we still stuck with the barrel length issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarms View Post
    What he said!!!!!
    Single shot lower. I assume if you want to permanently modify your upper than yeah, you can probably have a single shot whatever-caliber-you-want, but these were designed for use with 50-cal uppers that are from the US. ATRS is currently working on verifying whether they will work with the new DA-50 upper that Canada Ammo just released.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Based on what we did for the Ferret and Safety Harbor 50 cal uppers, to marry the upper to our lower requires a minor modification to the upper that is permanent and makes it dedicated to our lower only, it will never work with any AR15 lower once the modification is done. This is what gives it the NON restricted legal classification.
    The lower with the upper modifications is $750.00, a number of the small parts from a standard LPK are also required, but I suspect $50.00 will cover all of them. The DA50 apparently comes with a proprietary hammer, which makes sense as standard mil type hammers and springs do not have enough mass to set of the 50 cal primers.
    A standard buffer tube and some sort of AR stock and grip will also be required to make the unit useful, these are common and can be purchased almost everywhere AR parts can be found.
    From experience I would suggest something like an A2 or PRS or something fixed along those lines rather than a collapsible stock.

Depending on demand we may run a production run of our lower.
    We need to rewrite the programs as the original was stolen along with a ton of other stuff in 2010 so we are looking at a few months before we have lowers available.

Again I want to stress the fact that until I receive the DA50 upper I purchased and can confirm that the 1 lower we have in stock will in fact work out, some patience would be appreciated. as soon as I can determine that we can for a fact make this happen I will post the results, and a photo.

THIS LOWER WILL NOT WORK WITH A STANDARD AR15 IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 04-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by hicaliber View Post
    Is the modification to the upper a DIY project or will it need to be send to you for the modifications?
    If it needs to be shipped to you for modifications is there the possibility that you will offer a package with the upper and your lower with the modifications already completed?
    It is NOT a DIY project so yes the upper will have to come here for the mods.
    Once we KNOW that what we make fits the DA50 upper, I will talk further with Ryan as to how we can proceed to make this simple and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Maybe I don't understand:

The upper is irrelevant to classification. Doesn't matter if the upper is .17HMR or 20mm antiaircraft cannon. The stripped lower is the gun even without parts kit/stock/fire control group installed.

The AR15 & variants are restricted by name. Modify an AR15 so that it shoots rainbows and sunshine, it is still restricted.

So what could you possibly do to the upper OR lower which makes it no longer an "AR15 or variant"?

Not saying this to be a jerk - just genuinely curious.

FF
    It is NOT caliber related at all , you are correct.
    It is NR as it is not compatible with an AR upper, even when an AR upper is "duct taped" to the lower as the RCMP tried to do on this lower, unsuccessfully I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by Valore-Dave View Post
    Do you have any photos of the lowers you developed on the other two rifles?
    It is the same lower for both, but along with the CNC programs, the photos are MIA.
    We have 1 lower still that I will be trying and once we know will probably post a photo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer polskiogorki's Avatar
    Sorry if I am being obtuse - the AR lower itself is restricted, even if there is NO upper, right? I am still confused how you got a non-restricted FRT designation for an AR lower, even if it cannot take an AR upper.

FF

If it can't take an AR upper then its not an AR lower,.. that's why its non restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    Maybe I don't understand:

The upper is irrelevant to classification. Doesn't matter if the upper is .17HMR or 20mm antiaircraft cannon. The stripped lower is the gun even without parts kit/stock/fire control group installed.

The AR15 & variants are restricted by name. Modify an AR15 so that it shoots rainbows and sunshine, it is still restricted.

So what could you possibly do to the upper OR lower which makes it no longer an "AR15 or variant"?

Not saying this to be a jerk - just genuinely curious.

FF
    This' my reading on it - ATRS please correct me if I'm wrong:

It's based on the fact that the non-gun parts (upper) have to be extensively and permanently modified to fit to the lower. Since the lower isn't dimensionally identical to any guns known as AR-15's and can't attach to non-gun yet dimensionally correct-or-an-ar15 uppers, they aren't ar-15's.

It's weird circular logic that only works if you look at it a certain way. The RCMP said it was ok, so it's ok.

CGN Regular
    I don't know what convoluted logic the RCMP uses, but my understanding was that a restricted-by-name classification cannot be undone. This is different than say, a shotgun having its barrel cut down to less than 470mm/18.5" goes from Non-restricted to Restricted. Replace the barrel with a 26" barrel and it is magically non-restricted again.

I suppose the difference would be if it started out as an AR-15 lower which was then modified or if was made from an 80% lower and machined from there. Machined from an 80%, the lower was never an AR lower so the restriction by name wouldn't apply.

For those saying that it's not an AR-15 because it can't take an upper, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it that 'the gun' is no longer 'the gun' because it can't take what the RCMP views as an accessory. Logically, that's like saying you don't have an AR-15 because Surefires mount to AR's and this gun can't accept a Surefire. Maybe I am crazy.

Whatever, I hope I am wrong...

FF

My take on it is that it's not an AR lower, period.

Not by design, not by name, not by royal assent by the queen mother herself, etc..

Just like the lower on the modern hunter is not an AR lower, nor is the lower of an AR-180b a restricted AR lower.. they just aren't the same thing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    I don't know what convoluted logic the RCMP uses, but my understanding was that a restricted-by-name classification cannot be undone. This is different than say, a shotgun having its barrel cut down to less than 470mm/18.5" goes from Non-restricted to Restricted. Replace the barrel with a 26" barrel and it is magically non-restricted again.

I suppose the difference would be if it started out as an AR-15 lower which was then modified or if was made from an 80% lower and machined from there. Machined from an 80%, the lower was never an AR lower so the restriction by name wouldn't apply.

For those saying that it's not an AR-15 because it can't take an upper, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it that 'the gun' is no longer 'the gun' because it can't take what the RCMP views as an accessory. Logically, that's like saying you don't have an AR-15 because Surefires mount to AR's and this gun can't accept a Surefire. Maybe I am crazy.

Whatever, I hope I am wrong...

FF
    The ATRS lower was never an AR15, so it's never been tainted by naming. The DA-50 upper is not a firearm, so it can't be named, therefore it can be modified, altered etc... think of it like a scope - mounting it on a .22 or an AR doesn't make it a 22 or AR, it makes it a part mounted onto the firearm, but does not retain the classification of the firearm once removed, because only the receiver (lower on an ar) is the firearm.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast