Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing ammuniton from the U.S.

CGN frequent flyer

Quote Originally Posted by coltseries70 View Post
    Make sure that the brand of ammunition you are bringing back from the USA, is the same brand of Ammo you are taking into the states on your ATF form 6. you feel me? I have 1000 rounds of various types and brands of ammo on mine. So if I bring back 200 rounds of 9mm JHPS, that are on my form 6=all good.
    The form 6, is suppose to include ammo that you bring in, and then bring out of the country. Although it probably would not get caught, if I "feel you right", you are telling the person to break the law.
    “Gun control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to it's utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it!" - JNG

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingeARC View Post
    As far as I know, it's illegal to possess ammunition in te states with our a U.S. License, however as far as importing it and having it in Canada, just need a PAL.
    In order to Import one has to Export first.
    Any monies one may have saved buying in the USA is eaten up by the document fees and the time to do so.
    But, if you dont feel the information being given is of value, fill your boots.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sulisa's Avatar
    +1 FLHTCUI - it's all about the EXPORT - you cannot export ammo or components (or scopes, and a pile of other things) from the USA. Canada... doesn't care.

So how do these things get up here? The manufacturer has to apply for Export paperwork, and take whatever measures are necessary to comply with ITAR, to allow these to leave. So you CAN buy certain gun components from, say, Brownells, and retailers in Canada to get ammo, optics, etc, from US companies.

But without the paperwork, you're rolling the dice. There are plenty of stories of road checks before the border, checking vehicles before they get to Canada. Obvious places, such as the Ogdensburg Walmart (a short drive from Ottawa, and across the street from a popular "US postal address" provider), has plenty of goodies for the firearms enthusiast... but it's not worth being spotted, and snagged.

The catch 22 is that if you buy more in the us, and keep the bill, for customs, and you get stopped in a us roadblock, you are in violation without and export permit.

Quote Originally Posted by coltseries70 View Post
    Make sure that the brand of ammunition you are bringing back from the USA, is the same brand of Ammo you are taking into the states on your ATF form 6. you feel me? I have 1000 rounds of various types and brands of ammo on mine. So if I bring back 200 rounds of 9mm JHPS, that are on my form 6=all good.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer coldshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icelink View Post
    Last time I commented on a post like this I got an "infraction" I will keep my mouth shut on this one

Same here

CGN Regular
    Funny thing .. was just at the Cabela's in Buffaly NY (across from Walden Galleria Mall) chatted for a bit with a couple guys from the gun room/dept ... they were talking about Canadians coming in all the time buying and - apparentlly - getting across the border without incident. Again our side doesn't care provided you're licensed and within limits ... I guess they're just lucky. Much as I'd like to stock up on components, powder etc ... it's just not worth it ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    the Homeland security is monitoring most gun and ammo related stores parking lots for vehicles with Canadian license plates. They can stop you and check.....do you want to try? I would not....
    Just how big is the staff of Homeland Security?

Big. Pretty much summing up what everyone else said, you can bring ammo back, but don't get caught in the US. Make it to the border and your good to go.

It can be done legally, but not easily for everyone.

A nice summary:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/residents/us-eu-eng.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast