Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing ammuniton from the U.S.

Question Bringing ammuniton from the U.S.

I'm *sure* this has been posted here before, so forgive me, but I wasn't able to find any of the posts through the search feature.

If I'm in the U.S., can I purchase ammunition and bring it back to Canada legally? I've looked on the Canadian government's website, and I know that it seems to be fine, but I can't find any information from the U.S. government on whether ammunition needs an export permit (I know that firearms and parts do).

Everything I've read on this subject tells me that the Canadian border doesn't mind up to a certain point but it's the U.S. side that will have a big problem with you if you're caught without a special license. Save yourself the grief and buy in Canada.

As far as I know, it's illegal to possess ammunition in te states with our a U.S. License, however as far as importing it and having it in Canada, just need a PAL.

CGN Regular
    Up to 5000 rounds, IF you make it to the border. If a US patrol catches you state side without a valid US export license, start grabbing your ankles. If you make it to the border, you just need a PAL.

CGN frequent flyer
    Yes, as a "non-resident alien" in the US it is illegal for you to be "in possession" of not only ammunition, but brass, bullets and powder are also "no-no's".

You can buy a press, loading dies and other assorted (ammo related) items but not the above.

IF you make it to the border, Canada Customs will not have any heartburn with you bringing the stuff in (within the limits as noted here - 5000 rounds for personal use).

If you do get caught on the US side, a lifetime ban from entering the US might be the least of your worries.

So that Clint Eastwood line comes to mind - "Do you feel lucky?"

the Homeland security is monitoring most gun and ammo related stores parking lots for vehicles with Canadian license plates. They can stop you and check.....do you want to try? I would not....
    Ask-hole: Someone who constantly asks for advice then does the opposite of what you told them.

BANNED
    Last time I commented on a post like this I got an "infraction" I will keep my mouth shut on this one

Good idea.
    Last edited by tiriaq; 04-16-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galamb View Post
    Yes, as a "non-resident alien" in the US it is illegal for you to be "in possession" of not only ammunition, but brass, bullets and powder are also "no-no's".
    I do not believe that is correct. From the ATF, emphasis added:
    The definition does NOT include permanent resident aliens, aliens legally admitted to the U.S. with a visa other than a nonimmigrant visa, or aliens legally admitted to the U.S. without a visa.
    Canada & the United States have a visa-waiver agreement so the nonimmigrant alien thing does not apply. Even still, per the ATF, nonimmigrant aliens can acquire firearms / ammunition if they have a hunting licenses, or a few other cases. There are two ways to go shooting while in the USA.

Doesn't help the OP though, you still cannot bring them home with you. ITAR says you need an export license from the Department of State.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galamb View Post
    Please point to the US law that says a non-resident cannot possess powder or brass....methinks you won't be able too.

In any case, none of this stuff can be exported without the proper license/approval.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

CGN frequent flyer
    Make sure that the brand of ammunition you are bringing back from the USA, is the same brand of Ammo you are taking into the states on your ATF form 6. you feel me? I have 1000 rounds of various types and brands of ammo on mine. So if I bring back 200 rounds of 9mm JHPS, that are on my form 6=all good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast