Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reaper Report

The Reaper Report

I decided to start my own thread here since this may become long winded. I was the first to receive my MH back in March. I was very anxious to get it. This rifle literally went from the showroom to the front line. This may be a bit erratic as i try to recall everything for the last few weeks.

THE STORY

I had made plans back in August of last year to bring some friends up from the states that host a very popular hunting/survival TV show to do some early season hunting.Shortly there after i placed my deposit on the new Modern Hunter. I was the first. The serial number. "Reaper". Yup, im that guy.

So the crew (states boys) touched down mid march and were immediately pumped to get out into the great white north. Unfortunately, my MH wasnt ready.I really wanted this rifle in camp to show the yankee boys (with all the respect in the world) that we do it just that much better here. Anyway, without the rifle, we headed up to base camp and set up shop. We had permission to hunt coyote, boar, wolf and bear. And let me tell you these boys were set on getting what they could. These guys are used to camping out and surviving on their kills and foraging for their meals. "makes for good TV" apparently. so the hunting began the next day without firearms. they had brought their bows and were happy to use them but knew that rifles at some point were going to be necessary (my rifle is a lefty bolt, useless to most). SO long story short, These two days were throw away for the most part. That night i began my drive in to get my Modern Hunter.

After picking up the MH, the hunt really began...but that you'll have to wait for the program to air next year if they manage to get any if not all the canadian footage (this was the beta testing footage).

THE MODERN HUNTER

First impression...WOW. very nice well put together piece. I molested it quickly in the shop and cycled it a few times. I spoke to Rick about dis-assembly, cleaning and maintenance. They mounted my scope on it for me. Stunning. Most beautiful firearm i own. the specs on my rifle:

.308 calibre
    18.6" stainless varmint contour (threaded)
    15" Fortis keymod handguard
    Full ambi setup
    Magpul CTR stock (now with 0.5" cheek riser)
    Ergo deluxe grip
    FDE cerakote to upper, lower and guard

Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 scope
    Vortex one piece mount (not my first choice but time didnt allow options)
    Harris Bipod - didnt have for the hunt but is equipped currently

Upcoming mods
    LANTAC brake
    Thicker butt pad
    Flip up scope covers
    Stay tuned...

So this rifle did not get to see any range time, sight in time or anything. It was immediately put into service. The end result was that it performed. period. the guys at ATRS bore sighted for me and claimed paper. It definitely was close enough, as throughout the rest of the hunt it was put through the paces. I could tell you stories about the hunt, but really the rifle is the main highlight (and they wanted to keep everything for the TV program). Of course, there is always the 'behind the scenes' shenanigans that i will have to wait to tell until i know they didnt make it to TV.

The bullets that were recommended to me by Rick were the Federal matchkings 175gr. I thought absolutely but not for hunting. I had some various ammunition that i had purchased for testing my M305/ebr chassis (sold to fund the MH). I used Nosler 168gr Trophy while on the hunt. The results were fantastic. I have to say that my prime choices for ammunition would be either 168gr or 175gr. This rifle proved to be no exception. It ate up every round like a hungry man eating spam (ok starving???). The firearm functioned smoothly with both grains running through it. No fails to fire, no fail to eject. overall it was very impressive. the balance of the rifle was good, being a tad front heavy but all in all, very comfortable to shoulder and hold for a standing shot if the need arose. the fit and finish, well simply put ATRS. Absolutely True to Rick's Standards. Im sure that anyone that has owned or handled an ATRS rifle knows what that means. Every person that held this rifle was immediately impressed. The most impressed were the yanks i was with.

So, fast forward to today. I finally got to take reaper to the range and see how it performed on a more... likely level. I used nosler custom match grade 168gr for the days shooting. Cross winds of 50kph+, temps of +5-6C. 100m range. I decided to shoot 3 round groupings so that if there were any adjustments it would be more efficient (cost efficient).

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my attempt at seeing where the rifle was shooting and how the rifle grouped. the high one and the two to the left are the first three shots. The group of three are the follow up three shots.

This is after i zeroed the scope and took 3 shots in ~ 3 seconds. maybe 4 seconds... I felt the need to test the rifle's ability to handle follow up shots in rapid succession.

The rifle in its current configuration.

So the results were very good considering the weather conditions, the shooting positions (terrible benches for precision shooting) sitting only as benches were concreted to the pad. As you can probably tell by my lingo i am nowhere near a precision shooter.

IMPRESSIONS

this rifle is incredible. It shoots very well. I would (and will) use this rifle for my hunting rifle as well as battle rifle if the need ever arose. The fit finish and handling characteristics are fantastic. The accuracy is definitely up to the ATRS standard and more than likely could shine more in the hands of an experienced precision shooter. I highly recommend the rifle to anyone looking for an edgy, state of the art hunting rifle. It will make statements in hunting camps for miles around. The only recommendation i would give to Rick is that the charging handle for the Modern Varminter be moved back up to its rightful spot (on top the bolt ar-15 style) to truly make this rifle ambidextrous. I am already on board for the MV. Bring it on.

Awesome write-up. One day one of these will be mine!
    "I probably don't know half as much about this as I think I do."

Thank you great write up looks great

Nicely done Sir!

Congrats on the new beast!

Zac
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Awesommmme

Thanks for the review. And beatiful rifle

Nice rifle!

Thanks everyone, I have never done a review before so if you have any questions...shoot!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Well for your first review it's really good!!!

I would like to hear a bit more of what the usa guy's taught about the rifle.

CGN Regular
    looks great!!!
    nice to see what the 15" keymod looks like on the rifle.

Thanks for the review, we appreciate your efforts in making this post. It makes it a little bit easier to wait when I can see photos and read reviews like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast