Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sightron SV 10-50X60 - Quick Review and Comparison with S&B/March

Supporting Dealer
    Well, it is pretty darn hot in the OK valley this weekend. So, great time to heat stress the rifle, scope and load. Left it in a case in the truck with a cabin temp of 42C for a few hours.

At the range, the temp in the shade was 32C... in the sun, a whole lot hotter (40C or thereabouts). Hot enough that the comb was pretty darn uncomfortable to touch. Let it sit in the sun for a bit while I got set up and left the ammo in the closed plastic box beside it. All got pretty darn hot.

Well, this is the preferred load for this rifle and I guess it works just fine in the hot too. The distance was 250yds in light twitchy winds. Mostly coming left to right with a bit of a tail wind. Velocity definitely was not very high so I kept my aim as indicated for the 4 shots.

Saw the first two cut and the third disappeared into the hole. Nice.

Read the lines on the target to get my correction so I am right on the aiming point. Came down 1 min, to the left 3/4min and sent a shot. With the wind coming left to right, I was plenty happy to see the shot hit just off point of aim.

And yes, the Krieger was freaking hot to the touch when done. It is very common for a barrel to start opening up when it gets really hot. Krieger has a knack of making barrels to excel in the heat. The ambient temp and sunshine had the barrel uncomfortably hot.... then the shooting began :-)

I am very happy with the rifle and work done by Terry at Black Art Rifle. He continues to make my rifles to similar tight tolerances and obviously, well cut chambers.

The SVSS continues to impress. Despite the searing heat, the image was plenty clear enough to aim with bughole precision at 250yds. Then being able to see the target lines made it easy to count off the squares for the correction.

Me thinks, the scope tracks just fine.

So the testing is done, now the practising can really get serious.

And why pray tell am I leaving my rifle and ammo in the sun to cook? Because many of the matches I attend are in very high temps - last years Phoenix AZ had temps in the high 30's/40C in the shade. You learn real fast that gear not vetted under those conditions are going to poop the bed.

And no matter how temp stable a powder and load may be, when you go through that level of extreme temp, better know how the tuning is going to work out. So yes, learnt from hard experience testing in the mid 20's then showing up in the high 30's may not lead to the results you were expecting.

Testing never ends.

Fun, fun, fun

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

I didn't let mine bake like that Jerry. But the tracking is dead-on. After many full range movements, my new SVSS tracks perfectly every time. It tracks right along with isnipe. The brightness of the glass in full-on sunlight along with the fine focus adjustment does make mirage `wading` better than previous scopes I`ve owned.

Supporting Dealer
    During the shake and bake, it was fun to play with the focus to see or see through the mirage to target. A small twist of the outer focus dial and all sorts of info at your disposal.

Can't wait to get this infront of a 1000yds F class target and see how it works. Next match will be at Rattlesnake range in Richland WA... hot, hot, and just in case you find some shade HOT!!!!

And windy... can be very, kinda like Sasketchewan windy. I expect to give those dials a really good work out.

Hope to get a chance to compare a couple more scopes with the SVSS... stay tuned.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234