Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What's your strategy at gun shows?

Off the top of my head here are a few of the deals I gotten at gunshows in the last year or two.

Almost NIB, in the box stainless Marlin XL7 bolt action in 308.......$240

1958 Remington 725 in 30-06, very good bore, decent blueing,......$360

Early walnut/blued Model 7 in 308, probably 95%....$480

1993 Rem 700 VS 22-250, model with the HS stock, very good shape.....$600

But, like they say..."there are no good deals at a gunshow"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FoxAlpha's Avatar
    My strategy is simple. Avoid them, until people stop asking more than brand new prices on used items.
    I survived the gun control scare of 2013 and all I got was this t-shirt.......
    And 30 PMags, 5000 rounds of .223, 3000 rounds of 9mm, 5 BCG's, 5 stripped lowers, and a really pissed off wife.

[QUOTE=Claybuster;11317903]Before you trash anyone for "drivel" (even sunray) you should check your facts. The shows in and around the GTA and South Central Ontario are Sunday only and run from 7:30-1pm. There are other shows but it is not accurate to say all Ontario gun shows run two days from 9 to 5.

http://www.ontariogunshows.com/

I sincerely apologise, I was only going by me experience in the Ottawa area. It seems wrong to me that a gun show would only run for a few hours on a Sunday, where the heck is the fun in that? To be even more clear, I apologise again to Sunray, even if some of your posts drive me crazy it is your right to say whatever you want even if I disagree.
    Dave

CGN Regular
    My strategy for gunshows is to walk through the door right at opening and then quickly walk the room to get a quick look at anything interesting. After that initial pass I will slow down and dig deeper. Very few good deals on firearms but can be great places to find rare stuff. Know your prices and learn to dicker. Also I find asking for permission to pickup a firearm is not only polite but starts a far more productive conversation with the sellers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    I price stuff fairly, and if you're not a gearbox I will give you a better price, but if you keep insisting that 50% off is reasonable I just say No and smile.

I find that most people are happy with the 10% off rule, which is how I counter. I've learned that I don't HAVE to give my stuff away.

I've also learned that it's ok to say No to pre sale dealers trying to take my pants down - if it's still there at the end if the sale maybe we can talk.

Buying I look for fair prices, or look to "put together a package" like those picker guys say. I ask for the best price, and don't piss about wasting time if its not close to what I want to pay.

If I go around with a smile and a positive attitude, the deals that are worth it tend to make themselves happen.

And just because you didn't get something for 50% off of its value (and grump about it online) doesn't mean that gun shows suck.

Ta

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Outcast's Avatar
    One stop from 100 acres with a house in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    At the shows here the best deals are made before the doors are open to the public amongst the vendors.
    Exactly... Hence I don't waste the gas money.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I price stuff fairly, and if you're not a gearbox I will give you a better price, but if you keep insisting that 50% off is reasonable I just say No and smile.

I find that most people are happy with the 10% off rule, which is how I counter. I've learned that I don't HAVE to give my stuff away.

I've also learned that it's ok to say No to pre sale dealers trying to take my pants down - if it's still there at the end if the sale maybe we can talk.

Buying I look for fair prices, or look to "put together a package" like those picker guys say. I ask for the best price, and don't piss about wasting time if its not close to what I want to pay.

If I go around with a smile and a positive attitude, the deals that are worth it tend to make themselves happen.

And just because you didn't get something for 50% off of its value (and grump about it online) doesn't mean that gun shows suck.

Ta
    Bingo.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567