Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your strategy at gun shows?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK1867 View Post
    Ontario gun shows run Saturday and Sundays usually 9ish to five. Do you really get a kick about misinforming people or do you believe your own drivel on every subject. You should be banned.
    Really surprised he's been at it this long!

Quote Originally Posted by 1GLOCKAHOLIC View Post
    I find gun shows are only good for the smalls such as holsters knifes magazines optics gear etc.. firearms always seem to be at the high end of the price point. For any chance of a bargain you have to be their when the doors open or they are gone... I find dealers troll the tables and pick up any deals before the doors open for the public. At least that's been my experience.
    In NS the gun shows are open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays, but many of the sellers set up their tables Friday night. Friday night is when the real deals are made between the sellers themselves. I have purchased a rifle at a show, but it was from someone I knew and at a price I knew to be fair. My "strategy" when I go to a show is to know ahead of time what I want, what the item is worth and whom I can go to for advice or a reference when dealing with someone I haven't done business with previously. I have never regretted any purchase I have made at a gun show because I use this "strategy" whenever I go to one.
    Member of CSSA and NFA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Even the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while.
    Guess I will just have to wear shades. I haven't been to a show yet where I wasn't able to find something for a deal. I've also seen a lot of people walking way too quickly. Looking, but not seeing.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Depending who the show is being put on by you can sometimes get fresh hot popcorn at a decent price.
    Originally Posted by ADK

“These threads are great, it's like Whack-A-Mole; hit one idiot over the head and others just keep popping up.”

Quote Originally Posted by TANK1867 View Post
    Ontario gun shows run Saturday and Sundays usually 9ish to five. Do you really get a kick about misinforming people or do you believe your own drivel on every subject. You should be banned.
    Before you trash anyone for "drivel" (even sunray) you should check your facts. The shows in and around the GTA and South Central Ontario are Sunday only and run from 7:30-1pm. There are other shows but it is not accurate to say all Ontario gun shows run two days from 9 to 5.

http://www.ontariogunshows.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    Guess I will just have to wear shades. I haven't been to a show yet where I wasn't able to find something for a deal. I've also seen a lot of people walking way too quickly. Looking, but not seeing.
    X2. The people who piss and moan about no deals at a gun show either aren't looking hard enough or don't know enough.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Just like on E.E., the deals are there at the shows. You just have to be patient, lucky, quick and persistent.

I have had some good deals at gun shows, go early enough, you don't necessarily have to be there when they open the doors, but at least a hour after. I have bought a Swiss Vetterli Modell 69/71 for $ 260.00 with a case, very good shape. Also picked up a .577 snider cadet carbine with case and reloading dies for $350.00 that would put all the ones on EE to shame. My last purchase was a Swedish m1867 in 50-70 that was not a bad deal since its in good shape and I was looking for a rolling block at $400.00. So look around at if the price is good and its what your looking for buy it. The last gun show I went to was in Perth ,Ont last weekend and it was ok just nothing that jumped out at me as a good deal or that peaked my interest, Did pick up some fffg that was on sale. I have noticed that he folks going are getting younger and more woman are attending which is great for the sport may it be hunting,shooting or collecting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skneub's Avatar
    Was Tween Digby and Yarmouth .....Escaped back home to Alberta :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1bcshooter View Post
    LOL
    Couldn't have said it better myself .
    The show are good for sometimes finding the oddball stuff you don't see every day
    Yep like 7.7x58 live surplus ammo ...and brass

Take cash...spend cash on stuff you like

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    You can say that again!! My last show I had a fellow next to me selling 7.62x39 for $45.00/200 while I had 720 round spam cans for $95.00. As he sold out he would buy off of me.
    This ain't Dodge City,And you ain't Bill Hickok. Quigley down under.

First I know what I'm looking for. Second I do my research and know what it goes for $ wise. I hit the show as soon as it opens with a friend who is also looking for items, I know what he/she wants, he/she knows what I want, we split up and as fast as is reasonable we see all that is available. We text if we see a important item, we use our phones to take pics also. After we have seen it all, or at least 50% each we meet go over what we have seen and go back to see if we can make a deal. I always know the value of what I'm interested in, I don't get caught up in the impulse buy, and I walk away if the deal is not FAIR for both of us with a hand shake and a thanks for your time.
    Things I bring with me are, a small magnifying glass, a bore light, and any notes I have with regard to what to look for in certain items. And most of all I bring a attitude of friendliness, and try to meet and make new friends. Enjoy the gun SHOW, if you leave empty handed oh well no big deal, I'm sure you will have seen some cool stuff, I always do!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast