Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 rifle stored in/attached to backpack for wilderness protection - ON.

CGN frequent flyer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer new and novice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodregier View Post
    Now I want one.
    Twitter: @reason911

Victor: No, I'm saying the MNR says it's illegal. Here's the relevant part from the 2014 Hunting Regulations, p.79:

Firearms

"If you are hunting small game in an area where there is an open season for deer, moose, elk, or black bear, you may not possess or use a rifle of greater muzzle energy than 400 foot-pounds or shells loaded with ball or with shot larger than No. 2 shot (non-toxic equivalents include steel shot larger than triple BBB, or bismuth larger than double BB), unless you possess a valid licence to hunt deer, moose, elk or black bear as the case may be. This restriction does not apply south of the French and Mattawa Rivers during an open season for deer that is restricted to the use of bows.

A person hunting small game may not carry or use a rifle of greater calibre than a .275-calibre rifle, except a muzzle-loading gun, in the geographic areas of Brant, Chatham-Kent, Durham, Elgin, Essex, Haldimand, Halton, Hamilton, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Niagara, Norfolk, Northumberland, Oxford, Peel, Perth, Toronto, Waterloo, Wellington or York."

Here's the thing about "target" shooting on crown land: if you do it without a hunting license, you can be charged with poaching. You may attempt to convince the conservation officer that you're only shooting at those purty paper targets and gongs you set up down there, but you're totally at his mercy as to whether he chooses to believe you or not. If you do it with a hunting license, you're covered... unless it's a small game license during big game season (essentially Sep to Dec, depends on the WMU) and you use something bigger than a .22.

About the clothes (p.25):

"all licensed hunters, including bow hunters and falconers, hunting during a gun season for deer, elk, or moose, are required to wear hunter orange. This requirement does not apply to persons who are hunting migratory game birds, except woodcock. In addition, all licensed black bear hunters hunting during the open season for black bear are required to wear hunter orange except when in a tree stand. Where there is a gun season for moose, elk, or deer concurrent with an open black bear season, then the only persons exempted from wearing hunter orange are migratory game bird hunters as indicated above."

Hope this helped!

Rod: That's one sweeeeet looking little lever action! Short, light, uses a box magazine, can take a scope and available in many calibers! A little costly, but heck... may well be worth it.
    Last edited by Grawfr; 04-23-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clarifying a point.

BANNED
    Get a single shot shotgun with some adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by new and novice View Post
    Now I want one.
    I second that.

And thanks for the responses folks. Im definitely starting to think about other options. Shotgun probably is the best idea. That said though, Id be lying if I said I wouldnt want to take a little target practice if I find myself somewhere suitable to do that. As far as predators go, north of me is almost all farmland. Not a whole lot of large predators. Coyotes, wolves and the like, another story. However, in all reality Im not incredibly worried. Just figure its better safe then sorry.
    Last edited by Ericja; 04-23-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Twas explained.

CGN frequent flyer Secondgunman's Avatar
    I have a AR7 and would never use it for defence that is what my Ranch Hand or my Roadblocker with folding stock is for depending on what I am doing and where I am...

As far as the ranch hands go I would go for a .44 mag or .45 LC for WC.
    Certified Paper Shredder Guns are just as much apart of me as duck tape or WD40.

Chiappa Mare's Leg take down in 380/357mag.

I have an AR7 its awesome, and a chiappa badger, and I like that one too! Also a 12" grizzly pump and the Crowin Arms warrior backpacker shotgun. See a theme here? I like the survival, backpacking, and camping firearms! Take a look at the ones I mentioned

As others have said, a .22 is obviously no good for bears. You need one of the ranch hands/ mares leg in .44 mag.

You can apply for a ATC (Authorization to Carry) permit from the RCMP for cases of remote wilderness survival and if you have one of those then you can carry a .44 MAG on your hip if you'd like. Again if you're going between towns and different land, some crown, some maybe park and whatnot that's probably not the route you should take as they probably won't grant it to you. I agree with many replies on here that a .22 is not a survival gun unless you're squirrel hunting for a last supper. Mossberg makes a pistol grip survival shotgun that comes in an orange tube and actually has a few other extras in with it [URL="http://www.gunpundit.com/135.php"] and that to me is the best option for a wilderness survival gun. You can use buck shot, bird shot, bean bags, slugs, bear bangers... you're basically covered for everything from a riot to the 4th of July! Anyway, that's what I would use but not sure how that would fly for the odd time you end up in a local pub for the night. You need to be prepared to lock it up or make friends that can hold it for you in their gun safe if you decided to stay in a town for any length of time. Good luck!

Also, Winchester model 94 30-30 takedown. pretty awesome rifle. just saying..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast