Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 rifle stored in/attached to backpack for wilderness protection - ON.

.22 rifle stored in/attached to backpack for wilderness protection - ON.

So. Baring county, town, MNR zones and what have you, will it fly to keep an unloaded .22 rifle on hand (more literally in inventory, meaning In a back pack, or more preferably strapped to backpack or worn immediately on person via a sling) while backpacking between cities/towns, crown land, hunting zones and other places of interest in Ontario, with prerequisite PAL and hunting license(s) (strictly for auxiliary reasons - ne leisurely hunting would take place) For the purpose of defending ones self and fellow backpackers from a potential predatorial animal?

If so, what other elements need to be considered? WHat other calibers and gauges would be acceptable - assuming some may not be? Any transport and handling regulations to be given consideration? Bear in mind that us backpackers arent huffing it in hunting gear (despite listing hunting zones as a potential destination; But we all know that backpacking to a hunt is highly unrealistic for a multitude of reasons), and that im speaking specifically of Ontario. My case its self, all of these backpacking adventures would start on Barrie.

Thanks for bearing with all that, and thanks for people opinions. I know its a noob question but im try to find as concise a conclusion as I can on the matter and I dont think its been specifically asked in this mannor before, mimuch less clearly answered. Does anyone here have any actual experience being these things? That would be handy too. Again, thanks for the help!

Also worth noting that the travel route will be a mixture of roadways and trails. No way to tell what well be frequented more often.

Ericja, I think the telling criteria is what ground you are walking upon. Keep in mind that I'm answering you as an interesting thought experiment here, because I may be in a similar situation this summer (hiking + hunting). I'm no legal authority!

If it's permitted to hunt on the land you're walking on, you can obviously have the gun in your hands. if you can hold a gun, I don't see any possible argument against having it attached securely to your backpack. You will need a sock to wrap it into after sundown, though. And you can never, ever leave your pack unattended (better drag it in your tent at night, or you'll have armed racoons to deal with the next morning!).

If you're not on hunting lands, then the local bylaws are probably the key. There's usually restrictions concerning roads and hiking trails (I believe the trans-Canada trail in particular is a restricted area as far as weapons go, and the same thing mat apply to utilities rights-of-way). I suspect most municipalities and townships will be nervous if someone openly carries a weapon on public streets, roads and parks, even for the most innocent of purposes (such as hiking between two hunting areas). At best, you might get many free rides from nice police officers. At worse, they'll use whatever bylaw is handy to fine you and confiscate the weapon. You might placate them if the weapon is either disassembled and hidden in your bags (like those survival carbines that stores the action and barrel into their stock) or if there is a trigger lock installed on it at all time and it's covered by a gun sock.

Of course, the problem then is that when you do need your rifle, you got to ask the wildlife to take an appointment for 10 minutes later.

As far as transportation, the Firearm Act is somewhat limited in scope: the weapon has to be unloaded and the rest of the section is all about being leaving it in unattended vehicles. There's really no provisions for transporting a weapon either on foot or mounted.

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

(a) is not visible; and

(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

Concerning the hunting caliber, it looks like there's really no restrictions if you're on hunting-permitted lands except during the Sep to Dec period when the big game season is on. Then you can't have anything with more than 400 foot-pound of energy (say, 22LR) with you unless you also have a big game (deer and over) license. And you must wear nice orange clothes.

Given the space/weight considerations of a hiker, you might want to go for the lightest 22LR you can find or for a break-down weapon like the Ruger 10/22 takedown or one of the survival carbine. Personally, my only worry is that a 22 is fine for shooting a rabid chihuahua, perhaps not so fine if you're facing a rottweiler or a bear. For that, I'd prefer one of the 9mm carbines (Beretta CX4, JR Carbine, etc.) with hollow point ammo. If you can't stop a bear with 10 rounds of 9mm point blank, he was Superbear and you were doomed anyhow.
    Last edited by Grawfr; 04-23-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: format, adding info

Not sure which predatory animal you are expecting to encounter, but you may want to reconsider the calibre.

Specific municipal ordinances aside, for the most part, transporting a non- restricted firearm requires simply that it be unloaded. Legality is one thing though...you may also want to consider that depending on where your travels take you, particularly if you traverse urban/suburban areas, you may garner a lot of unwanted attention with a full size rifle slung over your back. Something like a takedown rifle, or better, a Mare's Leg or shorty 12 guage might be a better choice. Bigger calibre means better stopping power...bonus is it fits easier in your pack when you are looking to keep a low profile.

Non restricted, unloaded firearms can essentially be brought anywhere.

Use your brain tho, stick to something that can breakdown into a backpack. Lots of .22's and shotguns to choose from.

BANNED
    The Chiappa little badger is a great backpacking gun. It comes with a carrying bag and you can get it in .22lr, .22mag and .17hmr

".22 Rifle for wilderness protection"

Yep. Best to be prepared for those hoards of rabid killer gophers.

Any .30 cal rifle should take care of just about anything out there, the only problem is that they don't fold into any backpacks I know of. I wouldn't really bother with the .22 unless it's all I have.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer new and novice's Avatar
    Your best bet is a 12 gauge shotgun that can fit in your bag unloaded when walking on roads, and slung while in the bush. You can also carry a variety in sizes of shot for hunting small game for survival. As well as slugs for predator protection. But the .22 is a bad idea for predator protection.
    Twitter: @reason911

Quote Originally Posted by Grawfr View Post
    Concerning the hunting caliber, it looks like there's really no restrictions if you're on hunting-permitted lands except during the Sep to Dec period when the big game season is on. Then you can't have anything with more than 400 foot-pound of energy (say, 22LR) with you unless you also have a big game (deer and over) license. And you must wear nice orange clothes.
    What?! You're saying that it's illegal to target shoot on crown land between September and December with anything larger than a .22 if one hasn't a big game hunting license? Can someone chime in on this please?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast