Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR500 Gong Sets - Available Now!

CGN frequent flyer warrenlikesboats's Avatar
    Had my set out at Sibald public range the other day, I was very surprised to see my SVT 40 put serious splashes in these plates at the furthest bank of the range, which ive been told is 100-120 yards. I was using MFS 185gr.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenlikesboats View Post
    Had my set out at Sibald public range the other day, I was very surprised to see my SVT 40 put serious splashes in these plates at the furthest bank of the range, which ive been told is 100-120 yards. I was using MFS 185gr.
    Any chance you could email me a picture at info@albertatacticalrifle.com ? Some wear is inevitable, and relatively minor cratering at shorter ranges <100 yrds, depending on velocity etc. is not abnormal. That being said, if it's concerning you, please send me a couple of pictures so we can see if this is regular wear or not.

Mfs is steel core. I had some mfs .308 that put a hole right threw a 1/2 plate at 80 yards.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maurice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Skull View Post
    Mfs is steel core. I had some mfs .308 that put a hole right threw a 1/2 plate at 80 yards.
    MFS will destroy that steel...regardless of AR500 rating...good to know as I have some steel plates to use for rifle matches.
    thanks
    HOT DOGS GIVE ME ENERGY, SO I CAN FIGHT OFF MY DEMONS

Quote Originally Posted by maurice View Post
    MFS will destroy that steel...regardless of AR500 rating...good to know as I have some steel plates to use for rifle matches.
    thanks
    My friends son was loading mags for me It had a mix of winchester white box and MFS. I had to do a double take when I saw the hole as it was huge.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

Thanks.
    I was trying to look up the specs on MFS, I was pretty sure it was steel core....

MFS ammo uses steel jackets and a lead cores actualy.

Ideally you would use chains as they allow the plate to deflect the bullet downward instead of absorbing all the energy. Was your plate hanging on chains or solidly mounted to something?

Ive shot chained up 3/8-1/2" thick railroad tie plates(mild steel i think) with steel core 7.62x54r and it only puts craters.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb314 View Post
    MFS ammo uses steel jackets and a lead cores actualy.

Ideally you would use chains as they allow the plate to deflect the bullet downward instead of absorbing all the energy. Was your plate hanging on chains or solidly mounted to something?

Ive shot chained up 3/8-1/2" thick railroad tie plates(mild steel i think) with steel core 7.62x54r and it only puts craters.
    Thats what I thought, MFS doesnt advertise their FMJ's being steel core... I had the plates hanging from cut up mud flaps. ive shot the same plate at the same distance with my 147gr steel core corrosive ammo and it would barely put a ding in the plate. But the 185gr MFS puts pea-squashed pea size craters in it :O
    Last edited by warrenlikesboats; 05-26-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Any chance you could email me a picture at info@albertatacticalrifle.com ? Some wear is inevitable, and relatively minor cratering at shorter ranges <100 yrds, depending on velocity etc. is not abnormal. That being said, if it's concerning you, please send me a couple of pictures so we can see if this is regular wear or not.
    Thanks i will do that.

a new batch of gongs are inbound! Get that instant feedback for your long range shooting. Available online HERE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast