Thread: Holster for a SAM Thunderbolt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Holster for a SAM Thunderbolt

I currently own a couple of SAM Commanders and am impressed enough with their fit, finish and accuracy that I`m entertaining buying a 9mm SS Thunderbolt to use in PPC Service matches.

However, I`m concerned that I`m going to have a problem finding a holster that will accommodate this gun due to the long under rail it has. I know that combo gun/light holsters are available but they're big & clunky and hold no interest for me as I have no intention of using a light anyway.

Has anyone found a suitable sporting type holster (not a drop leg or level 2+ plus retention style like a Serpa) that works with this gun? I have a Blackhawk sport holster that claims to accommodate both railed and non-railed versions but without having the SAM Thunderbolt I have no way of checking if it will fit and I don't want to buy the gun if I can't find a holster for it.

I'm not fussy as to leather or synthetic and I'd happily even take a Fobus or Uncle Mike's synthetic if it works. Wolverine or any current owners please feel free to chime in. Any and all input greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ted_dent; 05-02-2015 at 06:16 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    I recently bought a used tactical SAM with the rail and it's a snug fit in a kydex sheath ( would be easy to heat and relax the fit) and I tried it in a Tanker style leather GI holster and it didn't really like that.

I'd say Kydex and a heat gun is your best bet unless it's a loose fitting leather holster.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

BANNED
    I've not got one, but wouldn't any holster which fits a Colt Rail Gun fit this as well? How close of a knockoff of the Rail Gun is it?

FF

FF, I'd say any holster that has been molded for a 1911 with a rail will fit.
    I just assumed the OP was wondering if a standard 1911 holster would fit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I recently bought a used tactical SAM with the rail and it's a snug fit in a kydex sheath ( would be easy to heat and relax the fit) and I tried it in a Tanker style leather GI holster and it didn't really like that.

I'd say Kydex and a heat gun is your best bet unless it's a loose fitting leather holster.
    Custom kydex or a commercial version like Fobus or Uncle Mikes's? Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    I've not got one, but wouldn't any holster which fits a Colt Rail Gun fit this as well? How close of a knockoff of the Rail Gun is it?

FF
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. Different guns seem to have different length rails.

I bought a $20 clearance Tac Pro 1911 kydex holster and went at it with my heat gun. Not particularly pretty when I was done but it works as it should.
    Whatever

I have the Seraphim Archangel and bought a Blade-Tech for a 1911 with a rail. It didn't come close to fitting.
    Nighthawk Custom Predator II 45, Nighthawk Custom .22 upper, CZ Shadow 2, CZ Shadow 2 Canadian, CZ Shadow 1 Custom, Chiappa Rhino DS .357 Gold, SIG P-226 Elite 9mm, SIG 226 40 Upper, SIG P-320 X-Five, SIG Super Target 45, Beretta Centurion, Ruger PC Carbine Takedown 6-Position Stock 9mm Luger 18.6″ Barrel Non-Restricted

Quote Originally Posted by ted_dent View Post
    Custom kydex or a commercial version like Fobus or Uncle Mikes's? Thanks.
    The kydex holster I have is not custom it's made for a generic 1911, but I just realized it's also a hybrind kydex/leather holster and the leather side is likely giving a bit to help the fit.

For a regular Kydex holster it's a matter of gently warming up the rail area of the holster and reshaping it a bit to let the rail slip in easily.