Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Modern VARMINTER .... ?

Look elsewhere?

Where the hell are we supposed to look for an evil black & scary NR that handles JUST LIKE an AR15?

The XCR? No thanks. The last one I handled weighed 3 pounds more than my M14.

ACR? Not without rebarreling it.

SCAR? Oh yeah, they had issues with those going full auto.

Bren 805? Vaporware in this country.

This is the closest thing we have to getting to eat our cake, and you just went and hid all the forks, spoons, napkins and broke our fingers to cap it off.

I rest my case!

You didn't answer the question.

And really didn't make much of a case.

Sure, I can make the choice of not buying one, but what are the alternatives? ANSWER ME THAT.

None NR. You're out of luck.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    Look elsewhere?

Where the hell are we supposed to look for an evil black & scary NR that handles JUST LIKE an AR15?

The XCR? No thanks. The last one I handled weighed 3 pounds more than my M14.
    Then you haven't had one of the newer keymod ones in your hands at 7.5 Lbs.
    Still, they seem to be always evolving to tackle reliability issues and also suffer from some reports of sketchy accuracy.

Moe

So not only have you hidden the cutlery, and broken my fingers, but now you take away the cake. You're worse than a Liberal. You know that, right?

I really want to like this gun. I really, really do, but the lack of caliber options makes that really, really hard.

10ish pounds for a bare-bones MH isn't exactly hunting weight, either. Word is the lightest it can get trimmed to is 8 lbs. I might as well carry my M14, because it scales up at 9 and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    sketchy accuracy.
    I neglected to mention this part, mostly because they weigh so goddamned much (the old ones, anyways)

That's the other reason why I have no desire whatsoever to own an XCR. I expect a modern semi-auto rifle to at least be as accurate as my AR15. ESPECIALLY when it costs 3 times as much as said AR15.

Do I have high expectations on performance? You bet your ass I do. It's hardwired into me from my German lineage. I also know that performance costs money. I want a high performance gun, cost be damned. But I'm not going to shell out a couple grand for a gun that groups worse than an $800 DPMS.

I wish my Vette could carry a cord of wood, but it can't. I wish my half ton could pull my fifth wheel but it can't. I wish my 1 ton could turn 9 second quarter miles, but it can't. I want to really like this automobile thing but the lack of........
    Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Ayn Rand

Man the first run isn't even out the door yet and all you guys can do is whine about caliber selections. It's bloody amazing anyone is willing to produce anything for Canadians with a market like this, I certainly wouldn't be putting up with is as calmly as Rick has. A 1-8 .223 Wylde barrel was 100% the right choice to produce this rifle in. ATRS hit the nail on the head for 95% of the people who will be looking to buy this rifle.

For everyone wanting a different caliber... nothing saying you can't buy one as is and have a gunsmith whip up a new barrel. Heck I might even find myself in the market for a reasonably priced .223 Wylde take off (I hope to be able to shoot mine enough to wear out a couple barrels...). Don't expect ATRS to warranty it afterwards... but there's certainly nothing stopping you from having custom work done afterwards. Though if you risk the NR status for everyone expect to be VERY unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    For everyone wanting a different caliber... nothing saying you can't buy one as is and have a gunsmith whip up a new barrel. Heck I might even find myself in the market for a reasonably priced .223 Wylde take off (I hope to be able to shoot mine enough to wear out a couple barrels...). Don't expect ATRS to warranty it afterwards... but there's certainly nothing stopping you from having custom work done afterwards. Though if you risk the NR status for everyone expect to be VERY unpopular.
    You're missing my point. I want to take advantage of the modularity and versatility of the design. I want multiple uppers in different calibers for different purposes. .223 for gophers, 6.8spc or 6mm-.223 for deer, and for ####s & giggles/heavy brush .450 bushmaster. I don't want to have to buy three complete rifles and send two of them off to the smith for work, at additional cost over and above the $3000 starting price point. I might as well stick to bolt-actions for everything then, because I could probably pick up half a dozen decent guns for the price of one MV. This gun has the potential to become Canada's Sporting Rifle, just like the AR15 is considered America's Sporting Rifle.