Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern VARMINTER .... ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    .300BLK. Just needs a barrel.
    ATRS said 300 blk is a no go.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

22lr conversion would be badass!
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    What about 6.8SPC???

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    ATRS said 300 blk is a no go.
    Im fully aware of that, but these guys are talking what was needed to do other conversions, I pointed out that .300blk would be the cheapest and easiest.

The .300blk is probably the most do-able home job conversion. I can assume some will pursue this with Herron Arms.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

If i remember correctly Rick mentioned that the barrel lengths required to maintain the nr status would be detrimental to the effectiveness of the 300blk cartridge and could lead to inconsistencies causing damage. The 300blk was desgined around shorter barrel lengths. Again, i dont want to put words in Ricks mouth, this is what i recall from one of the posts i saw in the past months. I could have been seeing things too.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    If i remember correctly Rick mentioned that the barrel lengths required to maintain the nr status would be detrimental to the effectiveness of the 300blk cartridge and could lead to inconsistencies causing damage. The 300blk was desgined around shorter barrel lengths. Again, i dont want to put words in Ricks mouth, this is what i recall from one of the posts i saw in the past months. I could have been seeing things too.
    Yes, he did say something along those lines, but that has not stopped ACR and now Tavor .300BLK NR conversions from happening.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    The 223 is perfect for the small Haida Gwaii deer
    But it would be nice to expand the MV usefulness
    The 450 bushmaster has successfully taken game up to the size of buffalo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    The 223 is perfect for the small Haida Gwaii deer
    But it would be nice to expand the MV usefulness
    The 450 bushmaster has successfully taken game up to the size of buffalo
    I like the idea of this rifle , and realize it is being built for hunting varmints but I have no use for 223 in the field as a hunting cartridge, others might, and that's fine but for me I would need something with a bit more down range performance on coyote, wolf, and cats. I'm gonna hold off and see what other calibers this rifle can be built in, otherwise, the modern hunter is a much more attractive rig for big game and varmints in one rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    I like the idea of this rifle , and realize it is being built for hunting varmints but I have no use for 223 in the field as a hunting cartridge, others might, and that's fine but for me I would need something with a bit more down range performance on coyote, wolf, and cats. I'm gonna hold off and see what other calibers this rifle can be built in, otherwise, the modern hunter is a much more attractive rig for big game and varmints in one rifle.
    For Haida Gwaii deer the 223 is fine but for hunting on the Main land I want mor gas in the Injun for moose and elk
    Don't get me rong I love the MH but as a hunter I will always Be looking for a lightweight rifle,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    I'm gonna hold off and see what other calibers this rifle can be built in
    yep, expensive proposition to be the first guy to buy solely on the ability to do a caliber conversion and find out it either requires special parts and/or costly machining.

I will wait till someone like Ian at Herron has had one to look at before I am sold on the idea.

Ideally a 6 to 7lb max weight semi auto in 450 Bushmaster or Remington 30AR would be an ideal Canadian big game hunting rifle

otherwise, the modern hunter is a much more attractive rig for big game and varmints in one rifle.
    Unfortunately, the weight alone puts it in a class where there are other options to consider, then there is price
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!