Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a new XCR-M keymod upper &light barrel, so Wolverine fixed my entire rifle!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumser View Post
    Can anyone speak to the weight difference between the keymod and quad rail upper if the barrel profile is the same?
    I understand that there's a big weight difference between heavy + quad and light + keymod. But how much of that weight savings is in the barrel change versus the rail change?

I currently have a light barrel with quad rail, and I'm wondering if there's significant weight savings to justify going to a keymod upper, with the same barrel profile (light)
    Unfortunately I don't have an accurate scale (bathroom scale only, no kitchen scale or anything and I don't reload yet)...
    But I have both uppers. I would say that the weight difference "feels" to be just less than a pound.

I guess that's not much help, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Astute Observer View Post
    Which barrel do you have? The light, or standard (heavy) profile?

My heavy profile barrel wasn't that accurate initially - about 3-4 MOA using the Norinco ammo. Dave from Wolverine did some work to accurize it (that was why I sent it to them in the first place) and it came back with the new muzzle brake. We'll see if that's the deal.
    I have the heavy barrel. It's from the first run with the FAST stock. I sent it back to have the chamber polished because it kept jamming closed but the accuracy sucks as much as ever. maybe 2moa with a 3-4moa flier every 5 rounds. Seems to get worse as the barrel heats up. I've run Nork, FGMM, Norma match, federal hunting ammo, handloads with hornady 168 match bullets, 168 a-max, etc. etc. and nothing helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchout Larry View Post
    I love it...that's funny! I will actually let everyone know that I use 7.62x51 MFS or Barnaul both are the same manufacturer, it is Russian made and very inexpensive. I get very accurate and repeatable results. Approx. 1.28" so just over MOA @ 100 yards.
    Minute of barn is awesome.
    I would be happy with that.

CGN Regular
    Didn't make it to the range this weekend, sorry. Real life interrupted. Will get a comparison done next weekend...

Any news?

CGN Regular
    I'm sorry - one again, real life (once again) got in the way. This sucks, I wanna go shooting...

CGN Regular
    OK, I finally got to the range today! Lots of good data. I fired four different ammo types out of both barrels, and came up with significantly different results.
    I'm posting the review in the Main Battle Rifle sub-forum.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...profile-barrel

All in all, Dave at Wolverine did an amazing job accurizing my heavy barrel. Given I'm a moderate shooter (can pass the CF PWT3 at the best of times), I can say I was the weaker link in the chain when using the XCR-M with the heavy barrel, new compensator, and a tighter gas system that Dave installed. I feel satisified with this rifle's accuracy, and for me 2 - 2.5 MoA is reasonable for a battle rifle.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Astute Observer; 05-23-2015 at 09:54 PM.

CGN Regular
    Data is here - numbers read in minutes of angle. Details are in the Main Battle Rifle Sub-Forum.

Will try to revive this old thread lol.
    One small tip I would like to share with folks here who claim their XCR's have poor accuracy, it will work on brand new owners of XCR's. Most people don't bother with barrel break-in period, but my lifetime experience had taught me
    that it is better to break it in properly than not to. Almost every new barrel comes fresh from the factory with little micro burrs as a result of manufacturing processes.
    It is crucial to remove this burr by at least pulling a bore snake through the bore 2 or 3 times. Shoot one round, pull the snake through, check for copper build up by running a patch soaked with Butch's Boreshine, letting it work for 2 minutes and running a dry patch to test for blue color. If it's blue repeat the process, if it's clean run a lightly oiled patch (CLP works great) and take another shot, repeat the procedure after each first 10 shots, and then after 5 shots taken, then 20 shots.
    The burr and copper will be removed this way. If you shoot over the micro burr you will permanently damage the barrel and make it 2-3 MOA at best (or Minute-of-Barn as some say).

CGN frequent flyer
    Anton520b, totally agree, use wipe out on my XCR- M .308 and a couple of other tricks and most match and good quality 150 grin to 168 grn are right at 1 inch but it loves HSM Berger 168 grn Hybrids will shoot first five into 1/4 in and next five opens to 3/4 in.
    If you shoot crap ammo or run it flat out with multiple mag dumps you will end up with crap groups.
    You can burn out a barrel in two minutes, if you go Hollywood Rambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    How much worse could it get? My XCR-M shoots minute of barn.
    Too bad.

I got one of the light barreled key mods with the m4 stock from the summer sale. Has the accurized gas system and "match" chamber. Plenty accurate and so happy with it. 1"- 3" groups (100m) using from Fed Gm match, my handloads to surplus brass hirt and steel cased norc.
    Running it on gas setting 2, eats and ejects everything. Makes busting clays at 280 m almost boring. The latest gen seems to be far and away better than past ones. My .02 .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast