Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Restricted Firearm Storage

Question Regarding Restricted Firearm Storage

Hello all,

New to the forums, and I just recieved my PAL yesterday in the mail for both non-restricted and restricted. I have been out shooting many times, and have grown fond of pistol target shooting. I am looking to purchase a handgun for my first firearm, but was curious if someone could provide me with an example of what the minimum storage requirements would be. I rent a house and space is currently limited in my closet. I have no access to a basement. Any small safe I get, does it have to be bolted to the floor? I understand the firearm has to be kept in something that is not easily broken into, but it says nothing about whether the safe has to be secured to the floor.

Would something like this be acceptable as long as I had the trigger guard on as well? http://www.basspro.com/StackOn-Stron...duct/10212841/

I have no intention of storing ammunition in my home until I have purchased a home and can have a proper gun vault/safe installed. Thanks for any information you can provide!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    The minimum IMHO would be:

Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired (ie trigger lock) and lock them in a cabinet, container (ie tool box, gun box etc.) or room that is difficult to break into.

Straight off the RCMP website.

"Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into; or

Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.

For automatic firearms, also remove the bolts or bolt carriers (if removable) and lock them in a separate room that is difficult to break into."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    You just got your restricted license and they didn't cover storage?
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by AR.boy
    The minimum IMHO would be:

Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired (ie trigger lock) and lock them in a cabinet, container (ie tool box, gun box etc.) or room that is difficult to break into.
    So that container I posted should be good enough then in the unlikely situation I have an officer at my house? Here is the link again of what safe I am talking about: http://www.basspro.com/StackOn-Stron...duct/10212841/

Quote Originally Posted by kyoboof View Post
    Straight off the RCMP website.

"Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into; or

Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely.

For automatic firearms, also remove the bolts or bolt carriers (if removable) and lock them in a separate room that is difficult to break into."
    Yes, well I appreciate you posting that, I am aware of those rules but was looking for experienced restricted firearm owners opinions on if they considered that I posted meeting the requirements of the RCMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    You just got your restricted license and they didn't cover storage?
    Yes they covered gun storage, and yes I have read the incredibly general requirements for gun storage. My question was about what is considered a container that is difficult to break into and provided a link to a small handgun safe that while appears to be difficult to break into, it could easily be picked up and moved unless it was bolted to the ground/etc. Seeing as I am currently renting and trying to avoid permanently installing a gun safe in my closet, would that small safe from bass pro be enough to satisfy the RCMP's requirement.

Considering this is a Newbie FAQ section, I figured this would be a good place to get specific examples (not a repeat of the rules) on what most would consider adequate storage for someone in my situation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    I'd go above and beyond what the law tries to say. If you guns are stolen, it might be costly(in court) to prove you did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    I'd go above and beyond what the law tries to say. If you guns are stolen, it might be costly(in court) to prove you did the right thing.
    Yeah, the plan is to get set up properly once I move. Until then I was just interested in what experienced users here thought about if that safe satisfies what the RCMP has listed. Obviously a police officer who wants to charge you for improper firearm storage is going to no matter what despite if you technically met the requirements. Thanks for the info.

I have a friend who uses 2 small fire safes. There are 4 holes, 2 in the back and 2 on the bottom. You could use 2, 3" deck screws to secure in either sets of holes. He also uses a trigger lock and the safes are in a locked closet. The 2nd safe is for ammo which needs to be stored separately of course. It cost him $150 for both safes. I think it is the best investment he had ever made because one of his roommate had some problems with the police and when the police arrived they asked to see how his firearm was stored. The two offices checked it out, looked at each other and said "no storage issues here" and when about their business at hand. Win!

Personally, I bought a pistol case that can hold four handguns. I used long padlocks with a key to open the padlocks. Home Depot sells four padlocks using the same key. That satisfies the locked container requirement. Secondly, I place a trigger lock on each pistol (Second requirement). Lastly, my handguns are unloaded (Third requirement). You can hide the pistol case behind in a stack column of moving boxes or banker boxes.

In your situation, forget about buying a gun safe. Loose lips sink ships. Don't go bragging to friends or family members about your firearms.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast