Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why was I asked for my DL number when I bought gun powder?

Oh well if it's required. It just pisses me off the hoops we have to jump through. When I buy powder at Bass Pro they have never asked me for any ID at all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyblue View Post
    I noticed one of the local Can Tire stores has posted they require BOTH a Photo ID and PAL to purchase a firearm.
    Duh! maybe somebody should explain to them that a PAL IS a photo ID.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

Take it up with the government, not the retailer.

While I imagine any retailer has an opinion about a lot of these hoops and regulations for customers, their priority is to be in compliance with the law (at least that makes sense to me).

Of course, the OP, or anyone else who is so quick to jump down the industry's throat about such things could always get a BFL, a business license, an appropriate commercial space, a powder magazine license, wade through NRCANs explosive regulatory act, send in your fees, hook up with distributors, front the capitol to get inventory, open you own shop and then disregard any portion of any number of laws and regulations you simply don't agree with, until the eventual demise of your buisness, loss of investment, and significant legal trouble.

I do wish anyone so willing, the very best of luck.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Not neccasary to show any ID. My local WS store you just fill in your own name and address in a scribbler type ragged book. When i asked, the info is just for in house inventory control!!!! Nothing about Explosives act or any kind of regulations???? So who is wrong the big chain store or Wolverine???

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Anyone know off hand the section of the act? I dont remember that being in there.

Shawn
    From section 14 of the explosive Act:

294. (1) Before selling propellant powder to a buyer, the seller must require the buyer to establish their identity by providing

(a) a piece of identification, issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the buyer; or

(b) two pieces of identification, each of which sets out the buyer’s name, at least one of which is issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government and at least one of which sets out the buyer’s address.

Marginal note:Verification of identity

(2) If the buyer provides a piece of identification that bears a photograph, the seller must ensure, before selling the propellant powder, that the photograph is that of the buyer.

Marginal note:Record of sale

295. A seller must keep a record of each sale of propellant powder for two years after the date of the sale. The record must include the following information:

(a) the buyer’s name and address or the number of their licence, if any, issued under the Firearms Act;

(b) in the case of a licensed buyer, the licence number and expiry date;

(c) the type and trade name of the powder sold, the size of the container in which it was sold and the name of the person who obtained its authorization;

(d) the quantity of powder sold under each trade name; and

(e) the date of the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    Not neccasary to show any ID. My local WS store you just fill in your own name and address in a scribbler type ragged book. When i asked, the info is just for in house inventory control!!!! Nothing about Explosives act or any kind of regulations???? So who is wrong the big chain store or Wolverine???
    As a powder buyer you should be knowledgeable of all the legal requirements, if you don't then you are no wiser than the staff at WSS or CT.
    THE FEW, THE PROUD
    SEMPER FI

Support our troops

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Right now if I have to drop my drawers to buy ammo or powder I will do it. You have to provide ID to pick up your stupid mail let alone buy powder.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic View Post
    From section 14 of the explosive Act:

294. (1) Before selling propellant powder to a buyer, the seller must require the buyer to establish their identity by providing

(a) a piece of identification, issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the buyer; or

(b) two pieces of identification, each of which sets out the buyer’s name, at least one of which is issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government and at least one of which sets out the buyer’s address.

Marginal note:Verification of identity

(2) If the buyer provides a piece of identification that bears a photograph, the seller must ensure, before selling the propellant powder, that the photograph is that of the buyer.

Marginal note:Record of sale

295. A seller must keep a record of each sale of propellant powder for two years after the date of the sale. The record must include the following information:

(a) the buyer’s name and address or the number of their licence, if any, issued under the Firearms Act;

(b) in the case of a licensed buyer, the licence number and expiry date;

(c) the type and trade name of the powder sold, the size of the container in which it was sold and the name of the person who obtained its authorization;

(d) the quantity of powder sold under each trade name; and

(e) the date of the sale.

It won't be long and we will need to show ID for baking soda! Maybe they would like ID for explosive diarrhea!...

Thanks Toxic

Shawn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast