Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why was I asked for my DL number when I bought gun powder?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    For powder and bulk 22LR I often consent to cavity searches. I know I shouldn't. When you are desperate enough, pride and libertarianism go out the window.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

We have a right to privacy? When did that happen?

Why is this even a thread topic? This could easily have been resolved by asking to speak with the manager present at the time in the store. Todays society; eaiser to buy local, then go online and complain about their practices.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar15 View Post
    I don't see an issue with showing my DL, PAL, whatever it may be.
    I don't think I'd want explosives and black powder being sold to just anybody that walked in.
    But asking for a DL is not real vetting in any meaningful way as in most cases the name is not checked with the cops, RCMP/CFC and there are people who you wouldn't want possessing explosives that have drivers licenses.
    In other words the requirement to produce a drivers license to buy explosives without vetting with police is just feel good "fluff".
    Pretty hard to detonate modern smokeless deflagrating propellants but black powder can certainly be used by a non-expert to make pipe bombs and IEDs.
    Thread and cap two ends of a pipe. Drill a hole in one cap for the fuse. Fill it with BP. Insert a makeshift fuse made with BP saturated butchers cord and voila a pipe bomb.
    Not rocket science.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Yea, get what you can now, when Justine gets in, you will have to have a picture taken with the powder and sent on file with rcmp and extreme limitations on amount allowed per household, likely the same will happen with ammo.

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

BANNED
    A USA style instantaneous (real time) check system would eliminate plastic PAL documents but the cops wouldn't get their ready made computerized shyt lyst of people to harass and persecute for owning guns
    like they do with the Canadian PAL system which if the truth was known is the real reason for licensing.
    It's about targeting gun owners for disarmament not public safety.
    That list proved to be useful to the rabidly anti-gun RCMP in High River.
    A plastic PAL document that is weeks, months and years old at the time of the purchase is utterly meaningless in regards to the here and now.
    The holder could be a prison escapee that was discovered to be a serial killer after the PAL document was issued.

Very common practice. Some stores requires PAL and some can settle with DL.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dinsdale's Avatar
    They also have to prove they didn't sell to a minor.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ing-componants
    Director and IPSC Rep for Smiths Falls Fish and Game Club - www.sffgc.org
    IPSC Ontario - http://www.ipsc-ont.org/index.htm

CGN Regular
    The big issue as far as I know is you have to be 18 years old. My LGS ask for PAL or DL to prove this. They also have to record the sale. I don't understand why this is such a big deal to you? After all you are buying an explosive... and you get asked for ID to buy a beer... is that also invasive?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by dinsdale View Post
    They also have to prove they didn't sell to a minor.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ing-componants
    But a terrorist with a DL would be just fine to buy 10 pounds of black powder.
    Unlike most US CCW permits the application process for a Canadian PAL doesn't include fingerprinting which is the only direct and certain link to a criminal record.
    The whole PAL process is a bunch of feel good fluff which provides the anti-gun bureaucracy with what they really want which is a computerized list of firearms owners to target for disarmament.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast