Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New Release from Chiappa!!!!

you know, it's stuff like this which is why my wife doesn't like me looking at this site...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Our ongoing dialogue with Chiappa has produced some exciting new guns over the past year and this new offering is no exception. We are please to present Chiappa's newest lever action carbine, the "Chiappa 1886 45/70 Ridge Runner". This tough, beefy 12" barreled lever action is built on the 1886 Kodiak receiver and stock set and will handle any abuse they are given and have been treated with their brand new hard chrome finish that will resist anything Mother Nature will throw at you!
    Dang!! Them is pertty ! Just ordered me one !

Weighing in at 7.75 lb's, this 30 inch carbine is a perfect companion for the back country and comes from factory with a full length stock for ease of shooting and improved comfort over its Mares leg cousin. Comes with upgraded adjustable Skinner peep sights and Red Fibre Optic fronts!

Take Down capability!!!

SPECS:
    Caliber .45/70 gov't
    Complete Take Down capability
    12" Octagonal Barrel
    30.5" OAL
    4 shot Capacity
    Rubberized "Soft Touch" Full length Stock Set
    Skinner rear peep sight/Red Fibre Optic fronts

In stock, ready to ship across Canada for $10 Flat rate!!! .45/70 RIDGE RUNNER

Gary
    Dang !! Them is peurrty ! Got one on order

BANNED
    South East of the Center of the Universe.
    ...doesn't the cartridge need more than 12" to burn all the powder/reach velocity potential? Seems to me with a 12" barrel, half the charge will expand outside the barrel after the projectile has already left!? I'll admit it looks nice in the pics though.

Is this sold out? Can't find it on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by plinker 777 View Post
    ...doesn't the cartridge need more than 12" to burn all the powder/reach velocity potential? Seems to me with a 12" barrel, half the charge will expand outside the barrel after the projectile has already left!? I'll admit it looks nice in the pics though.
    Yep, I'd imagine this'd be a consideration with 45/70 for sure: you should see the fireball outta my GF's 12" Chiappa in .44mag. It's a little ridiculous, but awesome at the same time. There's definitely some wasted energy there, but still enough to have a pretty decent muzzle energy. I didn't buy her that (or my SBL in 45/70) to be long range guns anyway so it doesn't bother me, and the compactness and sweet balance of her little lever gun are well worth the lost ft/sec IMHO.

BANNED
    South East of the Center of the Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.fatstacks View Post
    Yep, I'd imagine this'd be a consideration with 45/70 for sure: you should see the fireball outta my GF's 12" Chiappa in .44mag. It's a little ridiculous, but awesome at the same time. There's definitely some wasted energy there, but still enough to have a pretty decent muzzle energy. I didn't buy her that (or my SBL in 45/70) to be long range guns anyway so it doesn't bother me, and the compactness and sweet balance of her little lever gun are well worth the lost ft/sec IMHO.
    Yep, there's that (compact) going for it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Received mine this afternoon, whoooo man its nice! Clean and unmarked( as a new rifle should) its got some good weight to it and is balanced just about in the trigger. Its a little stiff now but I can tell it will smooth right out . Now got to find me some ammo and go do some blasting .

Are these rifles supposed to be 4+1 or 3+1? I can only fit 3 in the tube and when I try to load the 4th it goes in 3/4 of the way. Not sure if the mag springs too stiff or its only intended to be 3. Its so close to fitting a 4th it seems like it should.To the other guys who bought one how many can you fit in the tube?

Attachment 145464

Just thought I'd bump this thread with a pic and some info on this awesome little carbine.

I was having trouble fitting the 4th round in the tube so I found a softer generic 45-70 mag tube spring and trimmed it to length. Now I have 4+1 rounds of grizz smashing firepower. With my 500 grain reloads moving at just under 1500fps-if that dosent stop a charge, well I guess it's just my time to go. With the shell holder that's 11 rounds on board.

I finally got the rmr installed. I ended up drilling out a generic picatinny blank rail to fit and slapped it on. Not ideal but acceptable for now. I've been looking everywhere to find the combination skinner/picatinny rail that usually comes on the rifle but to no avail. Drilled and tapped the receiver to make the sight radius longer.

All in all, with the 12" barrel and rmr mounted, it makes an incredibly fast handling rifle that I can draw from my scabbard on my pack in less than one second.
    Last edited by bkallday; 01-19-2018 at 02:49 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    You guys will be surprised at how little velocity the 45-70 loses in shorter barrels.

I have a 12.5" (Super 14) and a 22" barrel both in 45-70 for my T/C Contender carbines shooting my top H322 Contender load with 325gr FTX bullets I only lose 100' in the shorter barrel.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953