Thread: flying with non restricted firearms from bc to ab

flying with non restricted firearms from bc to ab

I'm heading out to see my brother in law in ab and where thinking of doing some shooting. I have never flown with my non restricted guns before (that's all I have anyway). What do I need in addition to my pal?. Do I have to phone ahead? Cheers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Call your airline of choice and ask them.
    Failing calling them go to the airline of choice online and do some digging .
    You can learn a lot by doing some basic research first and asking for pointer second.
    But thats just me though.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Far North's Avatar
    Go with Westjet. Air Canada charges an extra $100 or so for having a firearm as part of your baggage. Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard sided case ammo is not permitted in the case. Ammunition may travel in your checked luggage maximum 11lbs (5kg), in a hard sided case in original packaging (no loose ammo).
    Get to the airport a little early. Check in at the counter and declare that you are traveling with firearms/ammo as your checked luggage. Sign the declaration form. The agent may not be familiar with the proper form and hand your an armed officer / prisoner transport form. If you are given the wrong form ask for the proper one. Bag will be tagged ammo sticker may be attached to bag containing ammo. You will usually be directed to take your firearm & bag containing ammo to the oversized luggage drop. Present your boarding pass and declaration form to person at the oversized bag screening. Bag may be x-rayed in front of you depending on the airport. Proceeded as normal with rest of the flight.
    CSSA CCFR
    Canadian gun laws brought to you by government sponsored ignorance and fear mongering

CGN Regular
    Having travelled throughout North America with competition hand guns - just a word of advice: get a print out of the airline's firearms/ammo policy - read it carefully - keep the copy with you because in my experience MOST personnel at check in counters don't know the airline policy/procedure well enough.

Had everything from letting me carry the handgun onto the plane in my carry on bag (which I DIDN'T because they assumed I was LEO) to REFUSING to accept firearms on the homebound flight of the same airline - when stated I was LEGALLY entitled and abiding by the airline's policy to convey handguns - the young lady stated -"well I don't care what the law is". An RCMP officer happened to be standing nearby and I asked him to come over and had the gal repeat to him what she had said about "not caring about the law". HE gave her a quick lesson on "THE LAW"....

If you're flying with a plastic case wrap the hinges and claps with duct tape. They're not gentle with luggage.