Thread: Suggestions on How To Get Started In This Sport

Red face Suggestions on How To Get Started In This Sport

Hello everyone! Hoping to hear about how some of you got started with the sport and perhaps get some suggestions on how to get started for myself. So far I have my RPAL, picked up a 10/22 cause it sounded like a good starter rifle and a brick of ammo. Also picked up a SKS.

I picked up some snap cap dummy rounds to get used to loading, unloading but I'd like get some experience live firing. I don't want to be fumbling around at a range so some practice would be good.

I am looking into a few clubs to join but in the meantime which option would fellow CGN members suggest for practice:

1.) Pay for Silverdale's "Beginner Training Package"...private time with an instructor for $50 (any other courses like this for beginners?)
    2.) Find some crown land

Thanks for the help!

Finding Crown land in Ontario is not proving easy (I have been looking for the same). My first two non-restricted firearms were a .22 (Chiappa M1-22 in my case) and the SKS as well. Unfortunately, my range is indoor only and the SKS is (at least for now) not permitted. I have applied for waiting lists for ranges with outdoor lanes, but in the meantime I was going to try a few places like Silverdale using a day pass.

Neither, lol.

Fumbling around or being inexperienced is part of the program. AS LONG AS YOU REMAIN SAFE no one expects a new shooter to handle/manipulate a firearm like a pro. Half the battle is keeping the business end always pointed down range.

As for the "beginner" package...

You would probably be better served having someone on this forum invite you to their club.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Glad to hear your getting into the sport! Seems like your taking a very responsible route with your firearm choice and seeking instruction. Just a heads up Silverdale's Beginner Training Program is a little hit or miss depending on which RSO you get. I've seen 4 done and only once would I say actual instruction and proper handling procedures were followed the rest were little more than supervised shoots. Mind you when my wife when she got an excellent RSO who really gave her the time and instructions she needed to feel comfortable.

Highly recommend going on a quite weekday for the beginner course at silverdale or find a fellow CGN member with some land willing to let you shoot/teach the basics.

BANNED
    Seconded for avoiding crown land. "Public" places like that to shoot, aren't really the best spot for the beginner; more so to avoid the guys out there who maybe shouldn't have a gun at all.

Of course, I grew up on 200 acres of country bush, so easy for me to dismiss crown land as a good place to shoot.

I bet if you started a thread, asking for help from a CGN'er in your end of town, you would be very happy with the results. Lot's of good people on this site, willing to bend over backwards to lend a hand to new shooters.

.22 and sks are great first guns. (If the only rule you remember, is: ALWAYS keep muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction, you'll never have a problem.)

Welcome to the addiction!

BANNED
    Finding Crown land in Ontario near TO where it is safe to shoot isn't easy. Not a lot of it near TO that isn't infested with hikers, picnickers and other riff-raff. Your best bet, is and always will be, joining a club.
    Don't buy bricks of .22 ammo until you have tried as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle will both shoot well and cycle the action. The price of said ammo means nothing.