Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Remington Law Enforcement Division - 870P Walnut IN STOCK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    There is only one 870 and they only differ by finish and furniture. Every time this topic comes up somone is trying to flush on us this marketing mess from Remington. The only difference in your 870 Express HD and the P is the finish, furniture and about $30 in small parts. In fact, go to the 870 retail parts list on www.remington.com and you could build an 870P 4+1 with a synthetic stock for less then you could build an Express 4+1 with the same stock. The bolts are identical but the Express has the MIM extractor and the P has the solid steel extractor. The polymer trigger plate assembly for the Express is bit cheaper, but the metal P assembly is less robust. Difference? Two springs in the P. Polymer is more durable, stays cleaner inside and if I ding or scratch it I don't have to worry about refinishing it like the metal ones that are painted. When you buy a new P you are getting a good shotgun but you are paying for a word engraved on the reciever and about $30 in parts. Think your P receiver is different? It is not. It is the same receiver as on the Express and Wingmaster. Go to the parts list and you will see the Police receiver price vs the Express receiver cost. Once you there, check out the Wingmaster receiver price too...why do those receivers all cost pretty much the same? Because they are the exact same receivers. If you own any 870 then your weapon is as good as the next guys no matter what is engraved on the receiver.
    This is the breakdown on the added Police features. More than just $30 in extra parts and different finish/furniture.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
    • All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
    • All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
    • Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer
    magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
    • A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
    • A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
    • Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
    • The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
    • The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
    • The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
    • The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.
    • The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    • The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
    • The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
    • Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Many of the key points that Remington mess marketing department is trying to sell us for couple hundred dollars has no longer exsist yet these are constantly brought up in every discussion about 870s.
    You would have to be able to see even when it was relevent how weak it was when they have to make a key issue out of the fact that the Police is built in a Special part of the factory, as if assembling the weapon 100 feet to the north east in a one million square foot factory makes the weapon better.
    Think about that for a minute.
    Remingtons problem, and our luck, is that their basic entry model is as good as thier top dollar model.
    They differ by bell and whistles worth few bucks (that can be spend to upgrade your Express too) and some minor marketing upgrades.
    You want a qualtiy fighting shotgun and have the money go to your to your local gun shop and get the 870 Police model.
    If your wallet is thin the 870 basic model is the way to go. Either will defend your life the exact same.

BANNED
    I would put my Weatherby PA08 upland up against any pump gun. I have the Upland but I bought the 18" bbl for a PA08 TR and its been a tank for me.

Not much aftermarket support for tacticool stuff, but you can buy a mag tube cap with a light mount.

Works well, is cheap at about $500 for a 26" field barrel and 18" SHTF barrel.

FF

CGN Regular
    Last edited by jasondhaynes; 04-01-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Expried Business Member
    There's one in store 870P Blued Walnut Furniture, not currently online... If you give a call in perhaps we could set something up

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cantom's Avatar
    Nestor- The Police guns also have a quality parkerized finish vs the minimal bluing the Express gets. (which rusts very easily)

Aside from the crappy finish, the second worst thing about the Express guns is the dimpled mag tube some of them have, with that plastic gear to keep the mag cap on. I really don't like that...that of course can be avoided by buying the model that comes with factory extension.

Also, the Express models have a cheesier wood set. Let's face it, Remington built them to a price point so they could compete.

As for the Police trigger guard being metal...yeah, it's that pressed sintered metal which is less than entirely impressive. I would indeed believe that the plastic ones would fare better under impact.

The earlier Wingmasters had a really nice, aluminum looking guard that IMHO were the best of them.

The Police guns are pretty much certified to operate under extreme conditions as found in police work. That's the whole point of the extra inspections etc. Thus users like Police departments know they can depend on them.

Okay, so I've drunk the Koolaid....

There is only one 870 and they only differ by finish and furniture. Every time this topic comes up somone is trying to flush on us this marketing mess from Remington. The only difference in your 870 Express HD and the P is the finish, furniture and about $30 in small parts. In fact, go to the 870 retail parts list on www.remington.com and you could build an 870P 4+1 with a synthetic stock for less then you could build an Express 4+1 with the same stock. The bolts are identical but the Express has the MIM extractor and the P has the solid steel extractor. The polymer trigger plate assembly for the Express is bit cheaper, but the metal P assembly is less robust. Difference? Two springs in the P. Polymer is more durable, stays cleaner inside and if I ding or scratch it I don't have to worry about refinishing it like the metal ones that are painted. When you buy a new P you are getting a good shotgun but you are paying for a word engraved on the reciever and about $30 in parts. Think your P receiver is different? It is not. It is the same receiver as on the Express and Wingmaster. Go to the parts list and you will see the Police receiver price vs the Express receiver cost. Once you there, check out the Wingmaster receiver price too...why do those receivers all cost pretty much the same? Because they are the exact same receivers. If you own any 870 then your weapon is as good as the next guys no matter what is engraved on the receiver.
    Last edited by cantom; 07-31-2015 at 12:50 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    You are totally right. 870P is much nicer shotgun than Express. Is it however any better? Answer is no.
    If paying more to have a better finish is fine with you, there is nothing wrong with that. If however one feels that because of that he owns a better shotgun....well, it's only his own belief, nothing more. Facts are not supporting such belief at all.

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    Absolutely no comparison between my express and my 870p.........vw to caddilac
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    You are totally right. 870P is much nicer shotgun than Express. Is it however any better? Answer is no.
    If paying more to have a better finish is fine with you, there is nothing wrong with that. If however one feels that because of that he owns a better shotgun....well, it's only his own belief, nothing more. Facts are not supporting such belief at all.
    Its better in terms of fit and finish and quality of parts as well as use and cycling the action, all I have to do is cycle a few rounds through my 870p and its all over, it wins hands down, the only similarities are , they both go bang!!
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by hunterhenderson View Post
    Its better in terms of fit and finish and quality of parts as well as use and cycling the action, all I have to do is cycle a few rounds through my 870p and its all over, it wins hands down, the only similarities are , they both go bang!!
    If you can feel a difference between two actions, you're not racking the damn thing hard enough.
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.