Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey everyone! Newb and really stuck with some questions!

Cool Hey everyone! Newb and really stuck with some questions!

Hey guys! Really glad I found this forum, I was directed here by the fellows at Target Sports Canada. So I just got my license a month ago and really want to get into the sport and my attitude is when I get involved in something, I go all the way and become rather obsessive. I have currently purchased three shotguns, a Benelli tactical 12ga, Remington 12ga with pistol grip stock and a CZ over under, looked really nice so I got it. I also have a Kimber 1911 45ACP. Now I have never shot these guns and really don't want to be stuck shooting at an indoor range, I really want to learn everthing there is about my guns and plan on purchasing an AR and a Tavor as well. I had met a gentlemen at Al Simmons that mentioned a lot of good stuff, such as making your own ammo for accuracy etc. I really want to be at the point where I understand all of my guns and know how to use what I have and anything else, learn the ins and outs of the sport and I'm a very good and quick learner, so essentially I am looking for a mentor and have no problem paying for their time, does anyone here have any suggestions or can assist me? It really kills me to see my guns just stored up and not being able to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Greetings and welcome to our addiction.
    If you weren't OCD before wait until you start reloading.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

I'm confused, why can't you use your firearms? Obviously money's not a problem so use some of it to join a club and seek professional instruction (if that's what you desire).

CGN Regular
    First thing would be to join a club. There are several outdoor ranges in the area, but most have lengthy waiting lists. The best thing you could do at this point would be to contact a few and add your name to their list. Some have waits beyond a year.
    After that get involved with different events at your club. You will likely meet many helpful people that will be willing to give you advice.

CGN frequent flyer
    definitely get yourself a club membership first.
    i like both indoor and outdoor which is why i have memberships at both (target sports canada & silverdale). indoor for pistol and outdoor for trap and rifle.
    the reason i like indoor for pistol is for the motorized target retrievers so i can set the distance to my liking and not have to call a cease fire whenever i want to change my targets.

BANNED
    That Remington have a pistol grip only or a stock with a pistol grip? The former is useless. The latter is not.
    In any case, you'll want to join a club. To shoot the Kimber you'll have to join one. (Indoors in January is a good thing.) Where you are and whether not you drive, moreso the driving than location, matters.
    To learn about firearms in general, hit the library. Even TO's public library has tons of good firearms related books. Read 'em all.
    For buying books, go to gun shows. There's an on-line list of dates somewhere. Toronto Military Show runs 6 June at the Etobicoke Olympium. 8:30am - 2:00pm. No idea if it's any good though. Haven't lived in TO for eons.

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies! So here is the issue, as you know owning guns is pretty cool right? Well I hate feeling like a dummy when I go places and I have no clue what the heck I'm talking about, or when I'm purchasing a new gun and forget what the stock is lol So this is why I want a mentor to go out with, someone who lives and breaths the hobby so I can just sponge off of them and learn as much as I can, the guy at Al Simmons seemed super cool but he is overly busy, but he was going to teach me how to properly load your own ammo, proper powder to use for accuracy, etc. I don't want to just buy guns and have a boring time shooting them at a closed range, I really want to get outdoors, learn the sport and enjoy my time and if I'm ever around enthusiasts I don't feel stupid because I just don't know what they are talking about. I kinda want to join Silverdale but again I really just want to go out there with someone that loves this hobby as much as I am beginning to love it and help me out. I'm located in Mississauga and can travel to any range if someone is willing to just be my mentor for a bit and I definitely will happily pay for your time, it's just intimidating when you are at a gun shop and a bunch of guys walk in that are talking about loading their own ammo yet you forget what part of the gun the stock is lol I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks again, really happy I found this board!!

I cant help you, but I do understand what you mean. There is a lot to learn and everyone starts out knowing little to nothing. Welcome!

You're overthinking the whole thing. Join a club, learn, share and have fun. Will you sound "foolish" at times? Sure but checking your ego at the door makes learning a whole lot easier. Learning everything there is about a hobby beforehand can get exhausting.

DON'T BE SCARED, GO HAVE FUN!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    To learn about firearms in general, hit the library. Even TO's public library has tons of good firearms related books. Read 'em all.
    For buying books, go to gun shows.
    Or use the internet. Do they even still have libraries?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast