Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6161819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Stop the RCMP!

So what should I take with me to the range next time to feel safe about the 10 round magazine?

sub'd

BANNED
    The regulations.
    The bulletin.
    A puppy.

FF
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivie84 View Post
    So what should I take with me to the range next time to feel safe about the 10 round magazine?

Now Im curious, with my ar build coming to completion, Im going to need to start buying mags. Should I just stay away from these 10rnds, to avoid becoming an instant criminal?
    Opinions?

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    I personally think the RCMP firearms guys won't be floating too many more test "balloons" before the election.

The firearms community caught wind and a big smack down was the result.

Buy, use, enjoy!

There is nothing illegal about the 10 round mags.

My 2 cents.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

BANNED
    Even if the regulations were to change, you can always pin them later.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorguy View Post
    Now Im curious, with my ar build coming to completion, Im going to need to start buying mags. Should I just stay away from these 10rnds, to avoid becoming an instant criminal?
    Opinions?

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Let's get onto our MP's and Minister Blaney directly and let them know that this is not acceptable and the RCMP do not make laws or policy!!

We are almost there with the Common Sense reforms. Do not let the RCMP move us two steps back again!

From Calibre facebook page

In attending the CSSA annual general meeting we had the opportunity to follow up on the changes to Bulletin 72 with both the CSSA and Minister Blaney's office. Unfortunately we learned that Murray Smith (Manager, Specialized Firearms Support Services, Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Services Directorate, Canadian Firearms Program, RCMP) was heard referring to this as "The Year of the Magazine" at CANSEC just days ago. Allegedly this is a reference to an ongoing effort by the RCMP to limit LAR-15, Beowulf, and similar magazines' use. It is expected that whatever changes they intend to implement in order to obtain the goal of sidelining these magazines' use will be rolled out mere weeks ahead of the upcoming election. Minister Blaneys' office and the CSSA both overheard these comments at CANSEC, are aware of the RCMP's intentions, and are working towards preventing it. We will also be filing further Access to Information requests and following up with both the CSSA and the government as the situation develops over the summer.

In short, it appears that the RCMP are working towards placing restrictions on magazine use that would prevent the use of LAR-15 and Beowulf magazines, either completely or by legally requiring those magazines only be used with LAR-15 and Beowulf rifles. When we asked "Does this mean we may not be able to use our ten round magazines in out regular AR-15" we were told that indeed, this effort by the Firearms Program would prevent us from doing that, if it comes to fruition.

Send letters:

Letters should be addressed to:

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper MP, Prime Minister of Canada
    The Honourable Steven Blaney MP, Minister of Public Safety

Blaney's FAX is 1-613-995-6856
    Harper's FAX is 1-613-941-6900

Whatever you write, you can:
    1) email it
    2) Print it and FAX it
    3) then put it in the mail
    I would add to your OP a reminder/advice to be polite and civil with your phone calls. letters and emails. Using any profanity or other rude, hostile language will not only not help, but it can hinder. It will make us look bad and give ammo to the anti's. FYI.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

CGN Regular
    I got a letter from Joy Smith MP stating that the law is the law and there are no plans to change it period. 10 round pistol mags are good to go. I just ordered 4 7.62 10 rounders!!

BANNED
    Guess you haven't checked the FRT for the Mossberg Blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    I personally think the RCMP firearms guys won't be floating too many more test "balloons" before the election.

The firearms community caught wind and a big smack down was the result.

Buy, use, enjoy!

There is nothing illegal about the 10 round mags.

My 2 cents.

Personally I think the whole thing is too complicated for citizens to properly understand and follow and for law enforcement to enforce!

If I had my way I would make it simple: Magazine Capacity would be 10 rounds regardless of type of firearm or ammo. This would mean the 10/22 - 25 round mags and drums would become(remain) prohibited and if you used a Beowulf mag in your AR with 14-15 rounds it would become prohibited (but if you used it in a beowulf that would be OK). On the other hand the SKS rifles could be de-pined and 10 round AR mags etc would be perfectly OK as well. On the shotgun side The rules might be a bit different, say 10 rounds of the maximum shell length the firearm is capable of holding so 10 3" for my mossberg.

I realize this would hurt a small number of people but it would HELP most everyone else and by making the rules SIMPLE, it can be easily argued it then improves PUBLIC SAFETY because it is easy to understand and enforce. (OK, we all no mag limits are bull#### for public safety but NO mag limits is just never going to happen!)