Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhukov ak handgaurd

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    So I put a few rounds through my rifle and my initial feeling, totally non scientific I know, is that the handguard changes the recoil characteristics on the rifle. Having the two gas port holes convered made the recoil force feel different. My two brakes which worked amazing before now feel like they over gas forcing the muzzle down too much.

I removed some material on the handguard around the gas ports and I'll try it again.

I may even open up two large holes in the handguard under the gas ports if necessary.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

I haven't shot mine yet, I it's my 858 and I'd rather not take it out.

Nice !!
    Great changes ! Good job !!
    Sorry for spelling and grammar faults, I'm learning slowly but surely...

CGN Regular
    Anyone fit a Zhukov stock yet?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    So I bite the proverbial bullet and got to work.

Using simple hand tools, hacksaw, pliers, file, and pliers I was able to remove the retainer and the sling loop within 10-15 minutes of work.

Going slowly with the area taped up I was able to easily saw the retainer off then twist the remained part stuck between the barrel and gas block with pliers until it weakened the metal and broke free. I taped up my front gas block and cut the sling loop off fairly flush to the gas block and cleaned it up a little with a file.

Sorry I didn't get any in progress pics. If anyone else wants to do this mod it is really easy once you look at what needs to be removed.

Here is the end result of my work.

Attachment 29804

The shiny metal on the barrel isn't from my work today it is from the handguard retainer moving over the past two years of use.

I will post more photos and details once my handguard arrives.
    Does the sling loop have to be removed? Could you not remove some material from the handgaurd itself?
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Na just remove the loop. It still won't work if you removed material from the heat shield it will still be covered by the handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by PZero View Post
    Anyone fit a Zhukov stock yet?
    Not yet for me anyway. Be good winter project.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcwc View Post
    Na just remove the loop. It still won't work if you removed material from the heat shield it will still be covered by the handguard.
    Obviously it won't "work" while being covered, that's not the point. A veteran gunsmith once told me "Don't make the gun fit the mount. Make the mount fit the gun"
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
    Obviously it won't "work" while being covered, that's not the point. A veteran gunsmith once told me "Don't make the gun fit the mount. Make the mount fit the gun"
    That is sound advice for sure, I agree with mattcwc I don't think you could modify the part enough to keep the sling loop.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

It's only a sling loop not a big deal.