Thread: gun club membership and purchasing restricted firearm in PEI

gun club membership and purchasing restricted firearm in PEI

Hi I am wondering if there is anyone on here from PEI that can give me some guidance. I finally got my license, I want to purchase a Norinco 1911 from Canadaammo but they require a membership to a gun club, I can't find info for any club other than our local trap and skeet club which only allows shotguns, my questions are: a)would a membership to a club that I can't fire restricted firearms at be sufficient to purchase the firearms? b)is there any other club on the island where I could shoot? c)failing the first two can I be a member of an out of province gun club and purchase the firearm?(although this would be a huge pain in the ass, I've wanted a 1911 since I had a plastic one as a kid and I've jumped through all of the governments hoops thus far so what's one more right?). Any insight is greatly appreciated.

where are you going to shoot it if there is no club to take it to? i know i was able to buy mine before i was a member at my club, I am surprised they won't let you buy it.

Worst case scenario I will shoot it in NS or NB(although then it will only be a few times a year). I was hoping that someone on here would enlighten me and there is a range I am not aware of on the Island. Very frustrated with the situation to be honest, there is nothing in our laws about needing to be a member of a club to purchase restricted firearms, just that I need to register it and would need an ATT to take my firearm to an authorized range(and after bill C-42 passes senate, which appears likely to be next week I will already be in possession of an ATT)

i just did some searching on the club list on here and all they have is that one trap and skeet. wow surprised they don't have one.

try this. http://www.gov.pe.ca/health/index.ph...ber=885&lang=E

BANNED
    Bill C-42 passing won't help you. You'll still need an approved range. That means joining a club. Your Provincial CPFO should be able to tell you where to go.

Bill C-42 passing means that I will meet all legal requirements to own and transport a restricted firearm to an approved range, I could transport that firearm to a range I am not a member of just as easily as I could to one that I am a member of, so I'm really not sure why this rule would even be enforced to begin with. That said I really have no problem joining a club I was still maintaining hope there is a place on the island before I started inquiring to clubs outside the province.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo123 View Post
    Bill C-42 passing means that I will meet all legal requirements to own and transport a restricted firearm to an approved range, I could transport that firearm to a range I am not a member of just as easily as I could to one that I am a member of, so I'm really not sure why this rule would even be enforced to begin with. That said I really have no problem joining a club I was still maintaining hope there is a place on the island before I started inquiring to clubs outside the province.
    Not so fast my friend. My understanding is that Bill C-42 stipulates that you MUST be a member of an approved range OR have received a written invitation to said range before you can transport your restricted firearm(s) to the range.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    Not so fast my friend. My understanding is that Bill C-42 stipulates that you MUST be a member of an approved range OR have received a written invitation to said range before you can transport your restricted firearm(s) to the range.
    Those were conditions put in place by the Ontario CFO. It has been explicitly stated during the debates in Parliament, that membership in a club would no longer be required. The only way a provincial CFO could weasel out of it is if they made club membership required to approval a PAL renewal.
    “Gun control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to it's utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it!" - JNG

Please join a club and you can easily learn about these guns and they will help you find a suitable gun.
    More you can select a secure gun safes to protect your gun, you can click here to find out

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I'm sorry for the necro, but I'd hate for someone to search pei and think there's no ranges here.

There are at least 3 pistol approved ranges/clubs on PEI
    Big Boot near granville, CGNer PEI Rob has details on his in miscouche, and the PEI Rifle Association(alexandria range) does some pistol competitions too.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold