Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: M10x possible?

With respect... no, you didn't see M+M "adverts" calling this rifle an "AK-47 Hybrid." I know that, because I write a good deal of their adverts. But I do understand how you got that impression, so let me address that:
    First, the previous rifle (M10-782) is a Romanian import that is an AKM variant. It was frequently termed a "hybrid" based on small changes primarily effecting improved quality. For that reason, you see things like this: "M+M Industries, manufacturer of the M10X Elite and M10762 AK47 hybrid rifle..." but the "hybrid" in that sentence (cut and pasted from a Google search) references the M10 rifles, not the M10X.
    Second, a lot of reviewers and firearms dealers know M+M, Inc. only through that M10 rifle, so they assume the M10X is an AK, and they push it as an AK because their articles and products show up on searches much better if they call it an AK rifle. A HUGE number of buyers don't type in caliber, action, and configuration for something "like" and AR or "like" an AK, or "like" whatever else they are looking for. They just type in "AR-15 rifle" or "AK-47" or whatever. So, that label gets tossed around a lot, regardless of what the firearm actually is.

So, yes... you saw that a lot in the search, but little, if any of it, is from the company itself. Go to the website, MM-Industries.com and look. You won't see anything there calling this rifle an AK-47 or an AKM. It's actually quite a bit better than the standard AK platform rifle, in accuracy and quality of parts and workmanship. It's towards the higher end on price, as well, compared to bargain AK rifles (though much less expensive than it's closer-cousin, the Sig 55X variants.)

The key functional feature this rifle features that people associate with AK rifles? Probably the long-stroke gas piston, but that's a feature shared by the Garand, and a couple dozen other classic rifles from the 40's forward. Maybe the stamped lower receiver? That's not even a requirement to be an AK- lots of them are milled. The magazine? Ok, at least that part looks AK-ish. But that's about it. The magazine looks AK-ish.

So, I get where you are coming from, but M+M has little control over people who TALK about the rifle. Peruse the company's information, you won't find this rifle called an AK. You will find plenty of information on the AK, especially in the blog portion of the site, but that's due to the previous rifle, the M10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Champagne View Post
    I agree but I think the success of the XCR is due to other items being on the not allowed list ie the SCAR if the scar and similar items we're allowed I believe that the XCR wouldn't have done half as well
    Definitely agree and believe if AR's were NR almost all the Non-restricted semi.-auto. Black rifles available to us such as XCR-L & XCR-M, MR1, Famae (540/542), Mini14/30 and theres several more I've not mentioned here.
    The decent bull-pup rifless would survive due to their design, but even pistol calibre rifles such as the JRC and other similar rifles would lie largely unsold if we could only have an AR non-restricted.

Cheers D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Just another sexy beast on my long, long and ever growing list of "will definitely buy if it comes here but will likely be prohib" list...
    Click, Bang.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Given the open ended (min 18 month) FRT process and the new government, it will be tough.

Looks pretty. I would love one of those, I wonder if it would be possible to outfit it with wood furniture.

Is the FRT process underway?
    Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

Just did some reading in this thing(it's friggin awesome) and it uses AK fire controls,strike one.....and an AK style BCG....though heavily modified,strike two....AK mags,strike three,And an AK mag release.

While it does have a completely integrated upper that the barrel sits in,and it's a threaded barrel,unlike the AK's barrel being a press in barrel in the trunnion that's in the lower,i fear that's enough for the RCMP to make it prohibited....I mean look at the mossberg blaze 47,all that has is wooden furniture that "looks" like an AK,they made that prohibited...

I want one....but I don't see it getting through the FRT process.
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Just did some reading in this thing(it's friggin awesome) and it uses AK fire controls,strike one.....and an AK style BCG....though heavily modified,strike two....AK mags,strike three,And an AK mag release.

While it does have a completely integrated upper that the barrel sits in,and it's a threaded barrel,unlike the AK's barrel being a press in barrel in the trunnion that's in the lower,i fear that's enough for the RCMP to make it prohibited....I mean look at the mossberg blaze 47,all that has is wooden furniture that "looks" like an AK,they made that prohibited...

I want one....but I don't see it getting through the FRT process.
    And we all know the blaze 47 classification was wrong. And we certainly shouldn't be adopting your attitude of acceptance for the mismanagement of our classification process.

Quote Originally Posted by mobusten View Post
    And we all know the blaze 47 classification was wrong. And we certainly shouldn't be adopting your attitude of acceptance for the mismanagement of our classification process.

Where the hell did I say I accept their BS stance on classification?weather I believe it was a stupid call that they prohibited the blaze47 on looks alone,did it change it?i wrote my MP,safety minister Blaney and the PM's office regarding BS classification of firearms,both during the 858 and Swiss arms fiasco,and when the blaze was prohibited by looks alone.

I'm being realistic,we have what could amount to our worst enemy in office right now,we only ever made headway with reclassification last time for 2 reasons,the guns in question were widely available before reclassification,and a lot of us had then,and we had some small amount of pull with the Conservatives(keyword there is small).

I want to see our laws changed as much,if not more then most,but with the liberals promise to put the power of classification back into the hands of the RCMP,and to appoint woman's groups and public health advocates to the CFAC,I HIGHLY doubt we will see anything like this get an FRT.

I hope I'm wrong and the money in about to throw at the CSSA won't have to be used to protect what little amount of freedoms we have left,but I'm a realist,and the M10x has too much AK in it to be deemed not a variant by the fools at the CFC
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

I mean this with all due respect but Google "m+m m10x" & the first link is mm industries.com & it reads clearly ak hybrid. So...yes. I would love it if this gun got an frt, I really would but like I said that search result alone would probably screw it. & no I wasn't insinuating the RCMP use Google to class firearms..... Though it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm just saying, when I want info about stuff... I Google it. Where they to do the same....it would plant a bad seed. Let's all hope I'm wrong....
    *puts on flame retardant suit*
    "A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance" -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Akronym View Post
    I mean this with all due respect but Google "m+m m10x" & the first link is mm industries.com & it reads clearly ak hybrid. So...yes. I would love it if this gun got an frt, I really would but like I said that search result alone would probably screw it. & no I wasn't insinuating the RCMP use Google to class firearms..... Though it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm just saying, when I want info about stuff... I Google it. Where they to do the same....it would plant a bad seed. Let's all hope I'm wrong....
    *puts on flame retardant suit*
    Well, I can't argue about how they do things in Canada, being from Colorado myself. I can only emphasize that the manufacturer is NOT referencing this rifle as an "AK Hybrid," regardless of how Google titles their headings. "Hybrid" was applied to a different rifle entirely, and even that was a stretch, because the previous rifle was an AKM variant.

The truth is, if this kind of ban is done based on looks then we might as well make our guess as to what the folks who make these decisions will do based on their hairstyles or the cut of their clothes. But if they are classifying rifles based on features, I still say this rifle has a good chance, because it isn't really very similar to the AK once you take a look at the design. To be honest, I hope you folks get a chance to work one of these out. Down here in the USA, there are too many options to choose from. Up there, where you don't get so many options, a GOOD rifle option would be very nice thing.

I was shocked to read where someone said they take up to 18 months to evaluate new entries. That's stunning to me. I had no idea. Down here, a company would go to court to force a decision if there wasn't an answer in 6 months! But, it's a different place, so I guess we have to roll with it if that's how they do things there.

I can tell you the engineer who designed this rifle DOES think it will get approved.

Let's hope.

And, by the way, you won't be needing that flaming retard suit--Oh, excuse me, I mean, the "flame retardant" suit
    (OK, yeah, just kidding. I couldn't pass that one by, but I hope I didn't give the impression I was flaming you with the previous answer. I just know the company's adverts inside-out, and I know how hard they have worked to educate people that this isn't an AK rifle. (Full disclosure: There were so many comments about AK at the SHOT show in Las Vegas last year, because EVERYONE was doing AK-Hybrid stuff, they quit arguing with the customers about it, and just let it roll, so there is some footage of employees talking that way out there--not much, but some. They should have been saying "Evolution of the M10" not "Evolution of the AK." We've been fighting that image ever since.)