Thread: First Gun Selection?

BANNED

First Gun Selection?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me your input of what could possibly fit my criteria for a first gun. I currently am looking for a bolt action rifle with a bit of history, ammo for about a buck a bullet, with mechanisms that can match modern day rifles and preferably under $450. A friend told me to check out some contracted Mausers and some Schmidt-Rubens but I'd like to know if more rifles fit this category. Thanks in advance

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Your buddy is right. Mausers esp. sporterized ones can be had for that price.
    The ones with a bit of history are the Israeli converted Mausers to 7.62x51. .308 ammo is close to $1/shot unless you use surplus. These run between $400-$650 usually.
    You can, of course, find the usual Mosin Nagants 91/30 for way less and the ammo is a lot cheaper too. If you want a small bit of exclusivity, find a Mosin 44 or 38. The flames and recoil is more than worth the admission!
    Good, unsporterized Enfields will be more and .303 ammo is getting scarce.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    Your buddy is right. Mausers esp. sporterized ones can be had for that price.
    The ones with a bit of history are the Israeli converted Mausers to 7.62x51. .308 ammo is close to $1/shot unless you use surplus. These run between $400-$650 usually.
    You can, of course, find the usual Mosin Nagants 91/30 for way less and the ammo is a lot cheaper too. If you want a small bit of exclusivity, find a Mosin 44 or 38. The flames and recoil is more than worth the admission!
    Good, unsporterized Enfields will be more and .303 ammo is getting scarce.
    Thanks for your input, I was initially debating on getting a 91/30 Hex Mosin, however, my buddy told me that since they aren't as cheap as what they used to be, it is much more worth it to pay an extra 50-100 bucks to get something of better quality like an M96 Mauser.

Take a look at the Swiss K31 also. I'm not a Mosin fan myself. I've had bad luck with all the ones I've seen or shot. Accuracy issues, front sight falling off, failure to chamber, stiff bolt...
    A well maintained Mauser is a sweet rifle! Quite accurate too! Better trigger than the Mosin. My Israeli one can group 1" at 50yds with open sights, although not by me!!
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

BANNED
    Yes, the K31! That's what my buddy bought from Canadian Tire just a few weeks ago, for a good price too (329$). Hopefully, they'll still be around by the time I choose to buy it, if I make that my first rifle at least. From what I've heard, supplies for those beauties are running out.

The K31 is very accurate for a surplus rifle too! Enjoy whatever choice you make. Welcome to the shooting sports fraternity!
    CCFR CPC