Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning kit.

CGN Regular

Cleaning kit.

Hey guys,
    I'm currently looking to know the what to do and not to do for cleaning firearms.

What kind of oil should I buy and is there any cleaning kits I should purchase that has most of the tools in them.

Cheers, Matt.

Last edited by 4n2t0; 12-22-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Here is a good start for you:

http://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting/...ng-kit-tl-a041

$16.99 CAD
    Sale Price:
    $13.50 CAD

You can add other accessories depending on what caliber you planning to clean.

___

• Complete Model 15/16 Cleaning Kit with 5 Piece Rods(Includes Loop), Adaptor, Bronze Bore Brush, Chamber Brush, Dual-Ended Nylon Brush, Oil Bottle and Cleaning Cloth • 8.6 oz Cleaning Kit Replaces Conventional Hefty Weight Cleaning Gear, Great for Field Operations or At-home Cleaning • Standard 8-32 Threads for any Compatible Components on the Market • Neatly Stored In a 2-Compartment Lightweight Nylon Storage Bag with Hook-and-loop Closure, can be Easily Stored In the A-2 Buttstock as well • Pouch Includes Belt Loop and Alice Clip for Attachment to Belt or Web Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Mattkov View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently looking to know the what to do and not to do for cleaning firearms.

What kind of oil should I buy and is there any cleaning kits I should purchase that has most of the tools in them.

Cheers, Matt.
    Last edited by GreenBob; 06-21-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

CGN Regular
    .22LR, 9MM and 12GA for now.

BANNED
    Any kit that does shotguns and handguns will do. They're usually separate though so you need a rod for shotgun and one for handguns with the jags for each calibre. You do not need to spend a pile of money. $16.99 isn't a pile of money. The Outers 28pc Universal Wood Gun Cleaning Box at Crappy Tire is ridiculous at $35. You'd be paying for the nice wooden box.
    For patches, go to a discount fabric shop like Fabricland and buy a yard or 2 of remnant flannelette(winter sheets/pajama material) and cut it into 2 x 4 inch pieces for .30 cal/9mm/12ga. About 1 x 1 for .22. Costs less than $10 for hundreds of patches vs the $3 to $5 or more per 100 for brand name patches. Wouldn't ever consider buying this kind of stuff on-line. Shipping will just add to the cost.

CGN Regular
    What about the oil that cleans and lubricates at the same time? Is that good or should I buy a cleaner and a lubricant?

Last edited by 4n2t0; 12-22-2018 at 09:33 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattkov View Post
    What about the oil that cleans and lubricates at the same time? Is that good or should I buy a cleaner and a lubricant?
    Cleans Lubricates and Protects - that might sound like CLP, huh?

I have a soft spot for the Hoppes line of oils and lubricants. But Remington's line is just as good. Always replace the cloth patch when it stops cleaning, or you think it is just smearing the dirt more evenly.

The answer to the question about cleaning is, yes. It matters less what you clean with, but that you are cleaning. After a while, you will learn what works better, and what nuances you can follow. That, and I always store my cleaned guns muzzle down in cloth sleeves. No oil seepage into the wood, and the sleeves keep the stock kisses to a minimum.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the answers.

I'm just getting into shooting, so I still have a few questions :P

Last edited by 4n2t0; 12-22-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast